You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "chillimint" started this thread

Reg: Aug 12th 2010

What's Up?
(",)

Thursday, March 31st 2011, 11:14am

Discrepancies in dating scan and IVF dates

I had a dating scan at 12 weeks which put my EDD at a week ahead of the IVF/ICSI dates. At the 12 week scan, the sonographer said "it doesn't matter what your IVF dates were, this is EDD we use now". This seems a bit odd to me, since I know exactly how far along my pregnancy is because the embryologist told us when she injected the eggs! I'm 30 weeks by my dates, and 31 weeks by the dating scan.

As I'm getting closer and closer to term I've started thinking about the fact that my NHS classes me as further along than I actually am, and that I could be induced too early because of this. I'm really not keen on being induced.

I've mentioned this to the community midwife and the midwives in the antenatal clinic with not much response. Nobody knows what to say to me! I'm not even sure that they know an awful lot about IVF/ICSI and how it gives us accuracy with dates.

I am probably splitting hairs again (its not uncommon :)) but is one weeks difference in EDD anything to be concerned about?
Aug/Sept 2010 ICSI :BFP: :girl:

JENSQUI

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Thursday, March 31st 2011, 11:17am

well, I guess if it means being induced then it could make all the difference for you.....
Do remember that they can't force you to be induced. If you know your true dates then you'll know, for example, that you are only 40 weeks when they say you are 41 and so there is no real reason to be induced.

good luck x

me 38, DP 44, ttc since 2005
BFP May 07 - HB seen @ 8 wks but CRL only 7 weeks, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Jan 08 -m/c @ 11 wks (D&C)
BFP Jun 08 - early loss
BFP Dec 08 - HB & CRL ok @ 8 wks, but sac too small, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Apr 09 - Martha born 9th Jan 2010
BFP Feb 12 - Eliza born 13th Oct 2012

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Thursday, March 31st 2011, 11:29am

Some discussion here Scan date versus MY date Chillimint.

I personally fail to see how a 2 dimensional image of a 3 dimensional, moving object can be more accurate than knowing when your embryo was transferred, especially when you consider the fact that its a human baby and human beings come in lots of different sizes. My hospital were adamant that a dating scan was more accurate and would consider me overdue by their date, not mine. I could never pin them down on a reference for the research or get a satisfactory explanation though. There are plenty of twin pregnancies where the babies measure differently!!! However, whe it comes to induction, they can only induce you if you turn up at hospital so if you are happy with your dates and you don't want to be induced, and you are having a healthy pregnancy and there is no indication of a problem, then stick to your guns.

Pootle

Megastar

Reg: Mar 31st 2007

Children: 2 beautiful girls.

Thursday, March 31st 2011, 11:44am

This seems to come up a lot. I do not understand how hospitals can change the EDD based on rather spurious scans when ladies who have had IVF/ICSI can be so sure, so accurate, about the EDD, based on knowing when conception and transfer took place - almost to the hour! Makes no sense!

No real advice, other than to say, if you're comfortable with the EDD being the 'real' one that you know because of your treatment, then stick to your guns - don't see how they can argue really.

x

My family is complete...I am grateful every day

DD1, natural miracle, 2005
DD2, IVF miracle, 2008

What's Up?
(",)

Thursday, March 31st 2011, 1:04pm

Thanks for the link mrsjasper, its good reading. From the looks of it, if hospital policies on birth and delivery are written in terms of days overdue, then, yes, a week will make a difference.

You're all very right...they're not going to be able to give me something I won't accept.

Thank you x

BraveGirl

Superstar

• "BraveGirl" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Feb 15th 2008

Children: One on the way.

Thursday, March 31st 2011, 1:31pm

I have always been dated 1 day ahead by the hospital based on scans, I reckon it just means my baby is a little big for the dates that I KNOW to be accurate. I would stick with your dates for induction puposes x
IVF 1 :BFP: baby5 in heaven 6 weeks
IVF 5 :BFP: Immune protocol Care Sheffield
Oscar Miles arrived 15 April 2011 weighing 6lbs 14oz
My Diary

Reg: Jun 12th 2009

Thursday, March 31st 2011, 3:57pm

Hiya

My baby has always been ahead by at least a week (mostly 2) on the scans but they won't change the edd as with IVF they really do know the dates. I would stick to your guns and rely on the dates from IVF. It amazes me the significant differences in policies between hopsitals.

Good luck
Balanced translocation (me), 4 x miscarriages, PDG Jan 10 - BFN (no normal embryos), Aug 10 DE IVF - USA, very cautious BFP :)

Reg: Mar 14th 2009

Children: A special baby boy and a beautiful baby girl

Thursday, March 31st 2011, 6:19pm

Hiya,

I am exactly the same as you - dated 1 week ahead than my IVF date. My notes and everything else is going on the 12 week date and baby has been measuring like that at every antenatal appointment. My consultant has said that if it gets to needing to be induced they'll look at both dates so I am now using the NHS date for telling everyone when I am due and reading pregnancy books (as it was getting confusing). Go with whichever date you are happy with.

All the best.

Nikki x

Over 5 years TTC, unexplained infertility
IVF Aug 09, IUI Nov 09, IUI Jan 10, IUI Mar 10 :BFN:
IVF Jul 10 :BFP:
Shock natural :BFP: on 16 Oct 12

What's Up?
(",)

Friday, April 1st 2011, 11:45am

Good point Nikki about "if it gets to needing to be induced"...baby could, and probably might, decide to come on its own!

BG - I didn't realise that you were so close to term - countdown is on single figures now!

Good luck everyone who is due soon. Hope you're all doing OK :)

Grace

Involuntary insomniac

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 29th 2008

Children: 1 beautiful little son conceived through ICSI and one equally beautiful little boy concieved naturally!

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Friday, April 1st 2011, 7:55pm

I would stick with your dates, they tried to move my dates forward and I refused for much the same reasons. It seems that there is somewhat of a one dimensional view of foetuses up until 12 weeks as I was arguing with my consultant about the dates and he said "all babies are the same size at 12 weeks" so I asked him how he could say this when mine was measuring 13 weeks and I knew when they were put back, was he suggesting that my fertility clinic had invented some new method of speeding embryos up so that they are actually 2 weeks old by the time they go back - he had no answer to that.

1st IVF/ICSI April 09 BFP

GRACE'S DIARY

Friday, April 1st 2011, 8:00pm

I have to agree that I think you should stick with your original due date. Different places seem to have different policies. When we had our last scan the sonographer told me they don't change the due date because with IVF we obviously know the date of conception, so it is actually far more accurate, but she did tell me that my baby was measuring a couple of days ahead. Due date stays the same regardless here because even though my baby was measuing 18 weeks and 4 days - it was actually a 18 week and 2 day old baby. I find it a bit crazy - I mean you don't say a 3 year old is 4 because they are as tall as a 4 year old!! xxx

We have 3 snow babies waiting for us.

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Friday, April 1st 2011, 10:10pm

AG that is exactly it. I am the same size as my 11 year old SS but I am not 11!

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

taxihome

United Kingdom

Friday, April 1st 2011, 11:50pm

Hi ya

My clinic said it can go up to a week either way with dates for IVF babies. Some grow and multiply quicker at the begining stage.
I am sure your concerns will be listened to in regard to inducing hon.
I personaly would congratulate myself for getting to another week along & nearer to my bambino in my arms. :) :)

[zx071]
2 x man boys -MC,Ectopic IVF x 4 Natural BFP/Born sleeping 22/WksRIP LO
Jan/11:ICSI:BFP: bab21 [zx115] Our dream has finally come true
MY DIARY

What's Up?
(",)

Saturday, June 18th 2011, 8:15pm

Just wanted to end the story I started with the dates questions. I was induced after all, but it was nothing to do with being post term. My waters broke at 39 weeks + 6 days (by my IVF dates) and I didn't deliver with 24 hours, so I was induced and delivered on 40 weeks + 1 day.

I was asked about my EDD, since there were two in my notes but I said that I'd had IVF and knew exactly when conception happened and that was it - no questions asked.

chatterbox

Reg: Nov 30th 2007

Children: Two heaven sent miracles!

What's Up?
blowkiss

Tuesday, June 28th 2011, 3:30pm

So baby knew best after all! :D

Me 40 DH 35 TTC 10yr
peritoneal mesothelioma, cystectomy 97 & 00
peritonectomy, lost both tubes & most of left ovary Aug 07

Dec 07 BFP b/ov m/c 9.6wk
July 08 BFN
Dec 08 BFP b/ov m/c 9.6wk

July 09 BFN
Nov 09 BFP 2 x sacs 1 b/o 1 no hrtbt m/c 9.2wk
May10 BFP at 8+4 m/mc @10wk scan ERPC

Found: High NK cells, DQ Alpha match, LAD neg & PAI-1 pos...

NOV 2010 - Immune IVF at CARE Manchester
:BFP: [zx076] :girl: born 25/8/11

OCT 2012 - Immune IVF at CARE Manchester
:BFP: [zx076] :boy: born 24/6/13