You are not logged in.

Unread posts
  • "Itchers" started this thread

Reg: Jul 29th 2009

Children: One day please

Wednesday, May 18th 2011, 11:40am

antenatal classes for twins - regular classes or ones for multiples?

hello,

I'm almost 26 weeks pregnant with nonID twins and have booked in for regular NCT antenatal classes. They are on 2 Saturdays in July, when I'll be 31 & 33 weeks respectively. I know I'm taking a risk by leaving it quite late but planning for success (i.e. to keep them cooking in my tum for as long as poss). I've just joined TAMBA and we're lucky enough to live in a town where they run antenatal classes for parents expecting multiples, but the next one is on the same day as our already booked NCT day 2. I'm a bit torn between doing the regular NCT class vs the multiples-specific class as suspect that the TAMBA one might be more appropriate even if only one day. I'm thinking maybe doing day 1 of NCT (to meet some other mums2be) but then skipping day 2 so we can attend the TAMBA class to get more practical info applicable to us and to meet some other twins couples. That's an expensive option as will have to pay twice but oh well.

It would be great to hear what other expectant multiple mums would recommend or have got planned. Is it worth doing NCT with twins or better to do a class geared to multiples? Or both?!

thanks!

xxx

6 x ICSI 2008/2009, all BFN
ICSI #7 ARGC July 2010 BFN
FET December 2010 :BFP: [zx076] [zx076]
Violet Mirabel and Finlay Thomas born 31st July 2011

Lucky Number 7 - Itcher's ICSI Diary

United Kingdom

Reg: Dec 22nd 2008

Children: Beautiful twin daughters and two grown up stepdaughters

Wednesday, May 18th 2011, 9:04pm

I'd try to move your NCT course forward and then see if you still feel you need to do the TAMBA course. I started my NCT course at 32+3 and went into labour during the first class. Needless to say, I didn't finish the course!
Newly Wed

ICSI December 2008 - chemical pregnancy
ICSI May 2009 - BFN
FET September 2009 - BFP
Beautiful twin girls born 30 April 2010

Ros

Megastar

Reg: Mar 14th 2008

Children: twin girls thanks to PGD!

Saturday, May 21st 2011, 8:52pm

Hello Itchers, I did the regular two day NCT course and also a 1 day NCT multiples course. Looking back, I didn't really need the multiples course as most of the content was a repeat of the regular course and the friends I made were definitely from the regular course as it was local to me. I found that as there were fewer multiples courses people had to travel furter and therefore didn't really stand as much chance meeting up afterwards.
However, as your courses are NCT and TAMBA you may find they differ in content.

I also did my regular course at approx 28 weeks, is there any chance you can bring it forward?

All the best x

After 5 years of endo surgery, clomid, 2 x MM/C, 2 x ICSI cycles and 1 PGD cycle,
beautiful twin girls born 8th Feb 2010, we are so grateful

Mr C

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 30th 2008

Children: Blessed with NonId Twin Girls!

Sunday, May 22nd 2011, 10:14am

our NCT didn't do multiple courses, but she did add bits to it for our needs.

To be honest, I'm not sure I'd pay to do a specific multiples course as most questions for us were answered on the normal NCT Antenatal class.
Our Diary
ISCI 1 - Mar/Apr 2009 - :BFN: ICSI 2 - Dec/Jan 2010 - :BFN: ISCI 3 - Mar/Apr 2010 - :BFP:
Our twin girls were born at 38 weeks on 21st December 2010. Feeling very blessed.

Reg: May 9th 2009

Tuesday, May 24th 2011, 12:33pm

I just did the tamba one which was really good. It's just a days course and it covers early parenting as well. I found it really helpful, nice and short (so male friendly!) and I'm also still in touch with the other twin mums. Giving birth wasn't covered in depth but I preferred it that way, especially as a C section was on the cards by the time I finally got round to doing an ante natal course.
Me: 37 Him: 42
Unexplained
IVF May 2010
:BFP: 10th June.
[zx076] [zx076]

my diary

Reg: Aug 27th 2010

Children: 2

Wednesday, May 25th 2011, 2:10pm

Hi I find this thread really interesting :)
I have taught classes for NCT ,TAMBA and privately. I was asked in a nct class to put on special classes for multiples in order to address specific needs of multiples parents which they did not feel could be easily met in a standard course .
I have had parents who have done both but they loved the ability to compare like with like,especially bumps and the long journey to becoming parents through fertility treatment.
I have found through experience that it is important to start classes earlier a) because some couples don't complete or miss out b) so that expectant mums don't get too tired - imagine sitting all day at 34 weeks with two or three babies or returning from a class at 10pm when all you want to do is sleep.
From a point of view of missing out on local contacts I have been running a pregnancy and new parent support group for 3 years. It is free and we meet once a month in a local community centre.(click on coffee cup at Antenatal Classes for Parents Expecting Twins in Berkshire, Hampshire, Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Wiltshire and Surrey plus home based service) My work with tamba has been great and I now know much more than I did when teaching singleton antenatal classes !
galaxy [zx161]

**Admin/Moderator note - This post contains an unconfirmed link/information and readers are reminded that FertilityZone.co.uk is not responsible for the content of external internet sites**
galaxy :)

• "Itchers" started this thread

Reg: Jul 29th 2009

Children: One day please

Thursday, May 26th 2011, 4:22pm

thanks so much everyone!!

Unfortunately, I didn't get my act together in time and can't do an earlier NCT class as the weekend classes were all full, and my DH doesn't get home in time to go to the evening ones, so 31/33 weeks it will have to be. TAMBA also now full and they run so infrequently so I've decided to go ahead with the NCT one, and attend a twins/multiples class at our hospital and hopefully that will cover it in terms of info and meeting a few people too. I'll also try out the local twins club as I'm sure the mums there will be a great source of first hand knowledge and tips. And of course, if I have the energy/spare hand to type I'll be asking all you experienced FZ twinnie parents for advice on a regular basis. Think I might need to invest in some sort of voice-reponse typing affair so I can shout my questions at the laptop when my hands are full!

xx

6 x ICSI 2008/2009, all BFN
ICSI #7 ARGC July 2010 BFN
FET December 2010 :BFP: [zx076] [zx076]
Violet Mirabel and Finlay Thomas born 31st July 2011

Lucky Number 7 - Itcher's ICSI Diary

Ros

Megastar

Reg: Mar 14th 2008

Children: twin girls thanks to PGD!

Friday, May 27th 2011, 8:10pm

Glad you've made your mind up Itchers (even if it was slightly forced by courses being full). I totally recommend a local twin club once you are ready to be out and about (it took me until approx 8 weeks!) and of course we are all here if you have any queries at all (and even if you don't :)). All the best and enjoy your tummy as it starts to grow even faster than ever! x

After 5 years of endo surgery, clomid, 2 x MM/C, 2 x ICSI cycles and 1 PGD cycle,
beautiful twin girls born 8th Feb 2010, we are so grateful