You are not logged in.

Unread posts
  • "shinealight" started this thread

Wednesday, April 20th 2011, 10:43am

Confused!

Hi all - going a bit stir crazy here - I had an appointment with my midwife 2 weeks ago, she weighed me and listened to the heartbeats and looked at my belly. She told me that my uterus is the same size as a 7month uterus and based on that and my weight gain (7kg since pregnant and my BMI was within normal range then) alone she said that I needed to rest more with my feet up and not do so much as I could start having contractions. I was doing some pregnancy exercise classes half and hour twice a week and she said not to do that. She also told me to eat less carbs (i've been sticking to mainly wholemeal although I do like sweet things!). I have now been for the glucose tolerance test and there were no problems. The twins have been slightly large (about a week ahead of dates) on the ultrasounds but not out of normal range and the doctors have said they're not worried about that as me and OH are both quite tall.
I feel that I should be doing more exercise, I'm not daft and stop when I feel tired - but now I'm scared to - I thought that I was within a reasonable range for weight gain and I don't know what to expect from the size of my uterus with two in there?? Has anyone got any advice on exercise and weight gain for twin pregnancies? How big does the uterus get? Sorry for the rant.
Nat

Reg: Jul 3rd 2008

Children: 2 beautiful twin daughters :)

Wednesday, April 20th 2011, 12:51pm

That sounds like some dubious advice if you ask me, no wonder you're confused!!

There's an older thread here about uterus size, which you may find reassuring: Size of uterus with twins....

You are meant to gain more weight during a multiple pregnancy (research indicates it reduces chance of early labour!) I think the average is 15-20 kg during the pregnancy, so I'd say your gain is perfectly average.

Cutting out carbs? Hmmm! Your body needs energy - it gets it from carbs. I'd be really reluctant to cut down on these - but I'm no expert! Is there a second opinion you could get on that and the excersise? Another midwife or doctor?

Personally, it sounds like the Dr's are not concerned and I'd be more inclined to follow their advice. It's not unusual for babies to measure slightly larger/smaller on an ultrasound (my two were larger, DH and I are also quite tall) and the measurements are subjective, according to the person doing the scan.

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy hon, I hope your mind gets put at rest soon :xxx3:

Moonshine

Wednesday, April 20th 2011, 4:19pm

Hi Moonshine
Thank you for your message - I found it really reassuring. It is interesting that there is no standard measurement for the uterus in twin pregnancies - it is also really interesting that an increased weight gain reduces likelihood of early labour. After my 20 week scan they booked me in for the next at 31 weeks which really shocked me so I think I'm going to go for a private one or two and I'll ask the doctor then. This midwife does seem preoccupied with banging on about food without actually asking the facts about my diet. I think I'm going to go back to doing some swimming which I was really enjoying too and I'm sure will be better for me than doing no exercise at all! :)
Nat x

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Wednesday, April 20th 2011, 4:48pm

What a load of old tosh!

How anyone can look at your belly and tell you that you're going to go into premature labour, tell you to cut out carbs AND tell you to cut out exrcise????

I already roll my eyes when a woman has a tape measure put to her stomach and is told that her baby is large or small for dates. Consider that the measurement is supposed to be the same whether that woman is 4ft 11 and weighs 7 stone or whether she's 5ft 10 and weighs 13 stone. One may have a perfectly healthy 5lb baby and one may have a perfectly comfortably delivered 10lb baby. Both will be normal yet one woman will be told throughout pregnancy that she is 'small for dates' and the other will be told that she is 'big for dates'. Both will worry themselves sick throughout.

Your BMI was within range before you got pregnant, you exercise sensibly and you're having what your consultant has decided are perfectly well proportioned babies. It's sensible to exercise during pregnancy and you sound like you consider your diet. You're a tall lady and you'll probably have perfectly healthy long babies. I'd go with your instincs on this one.

Reg: Sep 21st 2009

Children: one step daughter, very proud Mummy to Maisy and Oliver

Wednesday, April 20th 2011, 5:14pm

Hi hun, just thought I'd add my two pennith worth....

Throughout my pregnancy I have always been 'ahead' of a singleton carrier; fantastically at todays 36 week midwife appt my stomach measured 48 weeks!!! :what:

I agree with the others its all a load of rubbish. I have done and still am exercising every day some days more than others now tbh but ultimately my dog needs walking!!! Certainly dont give up on carbs you and the babies need them to get you through the pregnancy. As it stands I have two healthy babies weighing 6lb1 and 5lb8 and I still have two weeks to go. The midwife is very happy with me and how I am doing and is very encouraging of me getting out and about as much as I can.

One other thing is that right having to wait 11 weeks until your next scan? From 20 weeks I was having 4 weekly growth scans and in between 4 weekly midwife appts so effectively was being seen every 2 weeks????? I know every trust is different but this does seem a bit of a gap.....

Good luck blowkiss
Very happy Mummy to Maisy & Oliver - bring on the fun!

SAZZLE

Wednesday, April 20th 2011, 6:59pm

Hi guys

LOL Bells - thank you - it's good to have a laugh about it - it makes me more relaxed, you're right how can they say what is too big or too small based on my uterus! I just don't feel right not doing exercise and will as you say and go back to eating and exercising sensibly.

Hi Sazzle I'm so glad to hear that you and your babies are doing well and that you are getting encouragement for doing exercise - 48 weeks wow - but being that we're having two we should be double the 'normal' singleton size eh!!? I was surprised about the scan dates especially as I'm ancient too but I'm in Spain and it seems to be normal where I am so I'm going to book in for some private scans.

Right off for marathon training and a triple mac (only joking!)

Nat x

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Wednesday, April 20th 2011, 7:47pm

Mmmmm triple mac :yumyum: :snigger:

Another way of looking at the stomach measurements is like this. Go and get your husband to curl up under your duvet. Get a tape measure and measure the lump on your bed from pillow to footboard. Now estimate your husband's height and weight.

Accurate eh? :innocent:

All sounds good Nat x

Reg: Jul 3rd 2008

Children: 2 beautiful twin daughters :)

Wednesday, April 20th 2011, 9:03pm

Oh good I'm glad that everyone else thinks that your midwife's advice was a load of old rubbish :snigger: and that your mind is easier! A private scan seems like a good idea too, it's one of those things that's different everywhere you go - where I live the scans are 20 weeks, 28 weeks, 32 weeks etc - but I had extras due to growth problems of one little lady and the extras were always reassuring.

I really would've gone mad if I couldn't swim through my pregnancy, it was the only thing that kept me comfortable near the end. Maybe you could swim that marathon before having your triple mac :snigger:

xx

Moonshine

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Thursday, April 21st 2011, 12:40pm

Hello,

Can I just add that I only had one baby and on all my scans I was told she was going to be big and they moved my dates forward a week and then when she was born she was 6lbs 11oz!

My cons also said that scans can be up to a week out which is a hell of a lot really.

I LOVE Bells bed measurement/guess the weight. It is soooo true!!

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

Friday, April 22nd 2011, 2:02pm

Amazing how much is done on the basis of measurements that can't be accurate - a week out is a lot when we are hanging on to every sign of development, Flic - 6lb 11 oz is a lovely size!

Bells - I think I'm going to quote your guess the weight/measurement test to my midwife - I wonder what she'll say! :snigger:

Moonshine - I haven't gone back to the swimming class yet as OH has had my car for work but if the weather stays nice I might even go down to the beach which is about five minutes walk - I'll definitely deserve a blow out after that!

Cheers for all your support ladies!

Nat x

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Friday, April 22nd 2011, 9:49pm

Hi Nat!

Yes a lovely size but hardly a big baby!

But can you imagine having to measure 2 in there! Sooooo inaccurate!

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE