You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "LadyLuck" started this thread

Sunday, March 27th 2011, 5:44pm

Gestational diabetes.... low BP & low iron level!!!!!! Feeling shattered x

I found out this week that I have got very low blood pressure (not sure what to do to help that) and I have a very low iron level so I have pills for that (although I am taking spa tone sachets instead) and also my Blood sugar level is high so am in the bracket for GD!!! So I am now testing my blood 4 times a day and cutting out on sweet stuff which is very hard for me.

Anyone else had these issues?

xxx

Caz

Ace

Reg: Aug 17th 2008

Children: 2 perfect boys, Thomas & James

Monday, March 28th 2011, 8:30am

Hey,
I don't have low BP but do have GD and low Iron. I have had GD with both babies so am ok at controlling it now, found the toughest is breakfast and for me the main thing to avoid is actually bread. It takes a while to get to grips with but it's not that bad, and the crappy white toast they give you after the birth tastes sooooo good. I test 4 times a day or maybe more if I snack a lot. It's actually much better to snack than eat huge meals for me. Some of the things that effect/don't effect people are really different from person to person but feel free to fire any questions at me you have.
Re low iron, I've just been prescribed 2x200mg ferrous sulphate but have felt so sick since taking it I think I'm going to go back to the pregaday and head to boots for some floradix today.
IVF/ICSI Aug 08 :BFP: - Thomas born 26/04/09 baby2
FET Aug 10 :BFP: - James born 18/04/11 baby7

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Monday, March 28th 2011, 3:11pm

Hiya

I have low BP and did throughout pregnancy. Not much they can do for it unfortunately.

The tablets should help your iron levels though and like Caz has said the GD can be controlled.

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

Tuesday, March 29th 2011, 10:16am

Thanks girls.

The GD seems to be going alright at the moment. yesterday I managed to keep levels below 6.0 apart from after dinner which was 7.7 but still within the levels I have to keep to. I am gradually able to work out what foods push my BS levels up so can just avoid them, it is trial and error really isn't it.

Re my iron levels, I have been told to use something called SpaTone. It is liquid sachets and by using them you maintain more iron from them than you do from taking the tablets, apparantly each tablet taken you only benefit from 30% of the iron you need whereas the SpaTone sachets give you more iron. So I haven't been taking the tablets, just the sachets in a small glass of orange juice which supposedly helps to break the iron down and you get more from it.

Good luck, take care and thanks for your posts x

Caz

Ace

Tuesday, March 29th 2011, 12:05pm

I think Floradix is the same kind of thing as spatone, I certainly feel better on it than I did on the tablets!! Beware the orange juice though, it's a blood sugar killer!! I have to keep below 7.8 too so guess are limits are similar. If I have a slightly naughty dinner I hop about on the wii for a bit and it seems to do the job.

Glad all under control, good luck.

Reg: Oct 4th 2005

Children: Max born March 07 - thanks to frozen embryo transfer, our little miracle

Thursday, March 31st 2011, 8:59pm

Hope you are ok x

5 x ICSI b.f.n
1 x FET resulting in my gorgeous son born 2007

Grace

Involuntary insomniac

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 29th 2008

Children: 1 beautiful little son conceived through ICSI and one equally beautiful little boy concieved naturally!

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Friday, April 1st 2011, 8:05pm

Hi Ladyluck, I had Gestational Glucose intolerance (similar to GD) and very low iron, my blood pressure is always on the low side so I'm used to that. I would advise researching low GI (Glycemic Index) foods for what you should and shouldn't be eating, some of the things you can eat surprise you because it's not just a question of how much sugar they contain it is how that sugar is released. For instance Bran flakes have added sugar but they come up as Low GI because they are so high in fibre they release the sugar slowly avoiding a blood sugar spike and keeping your levels steady. If you can get some excercise that will help you with your sugar levesl (although with low iron it's damn hard) a gentle walk after meals would probably help. Anything high in fibre releases sugar over the long period so get lots of wholewheat pasta and brown bread, ryvitta are also good as you can pile them with soft cheese and they don't cause a huge blood sugar spike.

With your spatone make sure you're taking it with a small glass of orange juice, if you count it as part of your breakfast then you can still have OJ, as vitamin C is vital for iron uptake. You can also try fortified cereals (high fibre to avoid blood sugar rises) as they also contain iron. Also avoid tea and coffee (or anything with caffeine) for at least a couple of hours after taking your iron as these hinder absorbtion.

The blood pressure is a difficult one, what's your salt intake like? if your diet is very low salt then this can cause low blood pressure so if you do have a low salt diet you could try increasing the amount slightly. At least you can comfort yourself that low bp is better than high bp!

1st IVF/ICSI April 09 BFP

GRACE'S DIARY

Saturday, April 2nd 2011, 6:38pm

Thanks girls. I went out for a curry last night as we are in the process of moving home so apart from being too tired to cook, the freezer was being de-frosted so I didn't say no to the suggestion of eating out!! lol take the opportunity while I can.

Anyway, I had a curry and I did have a chocolate icecream after too, my BSL was 8.9!!!! Shocking, but to be expected!! Today I had beans on toast for lunch and my BSL was 8.3???? Gob smacked, didn't expect it to be that high!

I had been doing so well. But now we are moved in I can keep my eye on it a bit better, the past 2 days have just been a nightmare!

Grace

Involuntary insomniac

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 29th 2008

Children: 1 beautiful little son conceived through ICSI and one equally beautiful little boy concieved naturally!

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Saturday, April 2nd 2011, 7:43pm

What type of bread was the toast made of? beans are very high in sugar if you look at the label (unless you get the reduced sugar ones and even then they are still pretty high) and white bread has LOADS of sugar in it with very little fibre and should be avoided! I couldn't eat white bread without having high readings afterwards so it might be the same for you.

Glad you've moved in now, that must have been really stressful!

1st IVF/ICSI April 09 BFP

GRACE'S DIARY

Caz

Ace

Monday, April 4th 2011, 3:01pm

Same for me on the beans on toast, am ok with the reduced sugar ones on a single piece of granary. If I ate white bread I'd be up at about 10 or 11 thought so yours aren't too bad. Don't fret over 1 or 2 readings, just try and eliminate those foods. I still have the odd 8 in my diary and the consultants are happy with the overall control.

Afraid I have had to say goodbye to any thought of a pudding though :bawl: Only thing I can have on that front is one or two chunks of very dark (85%) choc, which luckily I quite like. I already have a list for my husband for as soon as I give birth - I want a Magnum, a flapjack and an almond croissant!!! Only 2 weeks (and counting)!

Tuesday, April 12th 2011, 12:29pm

Hi

Grace, the move was horrendous and really took it out of me! I am just recovering although I now have a bump belt. I didn't do much but it was just so stressful. I saw the diabetic midwife who advised me that stress can increase my blood sugar levels so that may also have added to the higher readings! The readings do seem to have gone back down again to below 7, with the odd 7.8 or 7.9 scattered about. Usually after I have had shreddies for breakfast.

How exciting Caz, 2 weeks! I can't wait now, I got just over 5 weeks and I can't wait to be able to eat what I want when I want. If it wasn't the sickness stopping me from eating nice things, it is the GD!! Boo hoo!! lol x

Caz

Ace

Tuesday, April 12th 2011, 5:21pm

Hiya, glad the move is all done. Just one week for me now as being induced at 39. So funny that you mention shreddies, my DS has them and it's all I've wanted for ages but they always cause me to spike. I keep saying to DH that when I get home I'm going straight for a massive bowl of shreddies, (after the magnum I've demanded straight after the birth!).

Sunday, April 17th 2011, 11:19pm

Good luck, I just read in chat that you had a show. I hope bubs arrives very soon xxxx Thinking of you x