You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "cathy" started this thread

Reg: Apr 4th 2009

Sunday, February 13th 2011, 12:13pm

breastfeeding and expressing with twins

Hi everyone, I'm thinking that I'll probably need to express some milk as well as breastfeed once the twins arrive, especially if we're out and about. I wondered how many twin mothers express as well and if you do, did you use a manual or an electric pump? I've heard expressing can be tricky. My sister recommended a mains operated electric pump as a battery operated one can be too slow. Any recommendations? I've been looking through various catalogues but it isn't always obvious which are mains operated and which battery.

Thanks! Cathy xxx
Cathy

RosB

Ace

Reg: Sep 23rd 2009

Children: Twin boys conceived on 3rd ICSI attempt

Sunday, February 13th 2011, 6:43pm

Hi Cathy - I am still breastfeeding my twins and they are now 4 months old. I also express every day. I have found my medela freestyle pump (double electric) absolutely invaluable. It is really expensive if you buy it brand new (RRP £250) but I got mine on ebay for £130 and intend to sell it on again once I am done with it. Whilst I was in hospital when they were born I had to express every 3 hours and one of my boys would not feed at first so I got used to using the hospital pumps. They are so good and when I then tried to use the avent one that I had bought before the birth it was just a nightmare as it took forever and hardly anything came out. My freestyle pump is so easy to use and I can very quickly get plenty of milk - it takes about 7-8 mins to empty my breasts.

United Kingdom

Reg: Nov 22nd 2008

Children: 2 Beautiful Babies. One of Each!

Sunday, February 13th 2011, 10:48pm

Hello i too bf and expressed for my twins. Whilst they were in special care i used their medal pumps. Then i hired one through my local MILK group (breast feeding suppurt group) well i say hire it didnt cost anything just £20 holding deposit. Then i purchased a battery operated medala from ebay for about £8.00. I i had not managed to hire one i certainly would have brought the double mains medala the same as what Ros has described. If you buy on ebay you can re sell and not lose much money if any, also you can buy new cups (or the hospital may provide) for the pump.
bab15 bab16 Sa-Leanne xx

Monday, February 14th 2011, 10:00am

Dear RosB and Sa-Leanne, thanks for your advice! I'll look into buying a cheaper Medela freestyle pump, as you suggest, and will also look into hiring one as SL did. I had heard that the manual and battery-operated ones were a bit of a disaster because they're so slow. 7-8 mins is amazing! Thanks for your help, Cathy xxx
Cathy

United Kingdom

Reg: Dec 22nd 2008

Children: Beautiful twin daughters and two grown up stepdaughters

Monday, February 14th 2011, 11:11am

I agree with everything Ros has said. I too had the Medela freestyle which allows you to pump both sides together. Within about a week I was able to express enough milk to feed both my LOs in about 20 minutes and after a couple of weeks I was getting enough to put a few bottles in the freezer each day as well.
Newly Wed

ICSI December 2008 - chemical pregnancy
ICSI May 2009 - BFN
FET September 2009 - BFP
Beautiful twin girls born 30 April 2010

Monday, February 14th 2011, 11:25am

Thanks, Newly Wed. I'm going to keep my eyes open for one on ebay. Cathy xxx
Cathy

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE