You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "BonBon" started this thread

Reg: Jul 20th 2010

Children: 1

Saturday, January 8th 2011, 3:06pm

AC Measurement above 95th Centile - advice needed please.

Hi, Happy new year to everyone!! I've just got back from my 20 week scan - it was amazing and we found out we're having a boy! Argh! the sonographer said everything looked fine but at the end she told me that the Abdominal Circumference was above the 95th Centile, the Head Circumference was on the cusp of being too big but "nothing to worry about". She said to speak with my consultant in 4 weeks time about why the baby has a "big belly". She then went on to ask me if I was diabetic or any in the family (no and none in family) so I'm now a wee bit worried. I've looked on google (silly me) and this seems normal for a mother-to-be with diabetes but as I dont have diabetes, I'm a bit worried.....

Has anyone else had this in similar circumstance to me or can anyone offer any advice?

Many Thanks

Bonbon xx
[zx145] BonBon xxx (TTC 3 years, Male Factor,1st ICSI August 2010, BFP 16th September smile2 )

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 2nd 2009

Children: Beautiful Jessica Mae x Holly and Elliot!

Saturday, January 8th 2011, 3:55pm

I think I did hear about bigger babies being at risk of diabetes but it is a specific kind and just because your baby is slightly large DOES NOT in any way mean something is wrong. You have probably just been doing a very good job of keeping him fed xxx
3 X ICSI
Jessica Mae Duffety born sleeping on 9 January 2011 (21+2) - TS and HLHS
Holly and Elliot Duffety born on 16 October 2011 (25+6)
Natural Surprise - Matthew Evan Duffety born sleeping on 11 October 2013 (15+5)

United Kingdom

Reg: May 13th 2009

Children: One gorgeous little boy called Daniel

Sunday, January 9th 2011, 12:21am

Hi BonBon

Try not to get worried. My baby had AC measurement above 95th percentile at 20 week scan & no-one even said anything, it was only when reading my notes & checking the chart after the scan I saw it noted. I was really worried, like you but when I spoke with the consultant he just said it meant my baby had a fat tummy! Then we had a growth scan around 32 weeks which was private & the AC was completely normal, although at that scan they said the babies head was measuring around 35 weeks so I was really worried until the end of pregnancy that I was having a baby with a huge head....thankfully he was born perfect, everything in proportion & he was 8lb 7½ oz.

Hope this puts your mind at ease xx

Reg: Jun 25th 2007

Sunday, January 9th 2011, 4:11am

Hi BonBon

I could have written your post myself as I had exactly the same happen to me at the 20 week scan and was questionned about whether there was a history of diabetes in the family etc and our little boy turned out just perfect.

Try not to worry yourself as I'm sure everything will be just fine.

Viv
Vivvy
Me 37 DH 34 (male factor)
4 x ICSI + 3 x MED FET

BFP (MED FET 2 x day 6 blasties + aspirin) Baby boy 08/08/09, a big fat 8lbs 9ozs !!!
BFP (Fresh 2 x day 5 blasties + aspirin) but m/c at 6 weeks
BFP (Fresh 2 x day 5 blasties + aspirin) TWINS DUE MARCH 2011

• "BonBon" started this thread

Reg: Jul 20th 2010

Children: 1

Sunday, January 9th 2011, 9:08pm

Hi Guys, and thank you so much for your replies. I feel so much better. I was so happy and excited after the scan and then the worry set in and by this morning, I woke up worrying about it and cried the whole time in the shower... :tears: But after reading your posts, I can let myself get excited again and relax again. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Viv - you were up early this morning!! :)

Thanks again guys,

BonBon xx
[zx145] BonBon xxx (TTC 3 years, Male Factor,1st ICSI August 2010, BFP 16th September smile2 )

Reg: Jun 12th 2009

Saturday, January 15th 2011, 4:52pm

My baby had a big fat tummy too - I just had a growth scan cause of high bp and the tummy measurement was at the ver top end of normal. Having said that she's quite big overall so i am not worried. My husband has a big head and a fat tummy so she looks just like him :-)
Balanced translocation (me), 4 x miscarriages, PDG Jan 10 - BFN (no normal embryos), Aug 10 DE IVF - USA, very cautious BFP :)

Pootle

Megastar

Reg: Mar 31st 2007

Children: 2 beautiful girls.

Saturday, January 15th 2011, 9:10pm

My DD2 had a very fat tummy, so fat that I had 2 tests for gestational diabetes (which I didn't have!) and I was told she was right at the top of the 'scale'! Not sure that it means very much as these kind of measurements are often unreliable anyway. Try not to worry, but if you get anxious, have a chat with your midwife who, I'm sure, will be happy to set your mind at rest.

x

My family is complete...I am grateful every day

DD1, natural miracle, 2005
DD2, IVF miracle, 2008

Caz

Ace

Reg: Aug 17th 2008

Children: 2 perfect boys, Thomas & James

Monday, January 24th 2011, 10:48am

Hi, Gestational diabetes does cause babies to get on the large side as they get too much sugar, so if the baby measured bigger than average they will probably test you. This doesn't however mean you have it, babies can just be big at certain stages of their growth too! I had GD with DS1 and have it again now, but you can manage it with diet and it's really not a problem so long as you are sensible. My DS was born perfect at 7lb 3oz so no complications caused. They are just cautious these days as diabetes is on the rise so better to test to be on the safe side, the only time it is dangerous is if it is undiagnosed. Having said all that there is a good chance your baby was just busy growing that week and all will be normal, just thought I'd let you know that even if it was diabetes it doesn't have to be a worry.
IVF/ICSI Aug 08 :BFP: - Thomas born 26/04/09 baby2
FET Aug 10 :BFP: - James born 18/04/11 baby7