You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

sukitot

• "sukitot" started this thread

Reg: Apr 28th 2009

Children: little boy

Wednesday, December 8th 2010, 3:00pm

39 weeks strectch and sweep tomorrow help

Hi I am seeign the midwife tomorrow I went to the hopsital yesterdayand the consultant said that my baby was engaged and if i wanted she could do a stretch and sweep.I declined as my little boy finshes school today and didnt want anything to happen .

So I have it tomorrow with the midwife firstly I am so worried I didint sleep at all last night although I have a little boy I am frightened about labour again as I had a bad time last time.

Can anybody tell me about stretch and sweep and how successful they are and also I know I should know the signs when I am in labour but my bracton hicks are getting more and more often as well.

THanks
suki

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 14th 2009

Children: 2 dd 1978 ds 1980 And 1 gorgeous granddaughter 2010 and a handsome grandson 2012

Thursday, December 9th 2010, 2:46am

Hi Sukitot,
First of all, a stretch and sweep can be a bit uncomfortable,depending on how easy it is for the midwife to reach your cervix.If your cervix is ripe (soft) and your baby's head is engaged,it shouldn't be too bad. The more relaxed you can be (concentrate on breathing in deeply and letting your breath out slowly as if you were blowing dandelion seeds away) the easier it will be. it does sometimes trigger labour, more likely when you've had a baby before.
Try to forget what your last labour was like. This is a different pregnancy, In general, second labours are shorter and easier than first ones are.
I hope you manage to see this before you go, and it helps to reassure you.
Good luck

Reg: Aug 9th 2008

Saturday, December 11th 2010, 1:49pm

A stretch and sweep involves your midwife performing a vaginal exam, locating your cervix and using her finger to sweep the membranes awaf from the cervix (it does not break your waters). Ideally unless there is a complication of pregnancy it should not be performed before term. (Term plus a week if first pregnancy) It is unlikely to be successful if too early. Not everyone responds to it, but it will work better if the baby is well down and you have been having some uterine activity already. As said before it can range from painful, through uncomfortable to no problem at all, depends on how far back your cervix is.

1 user apart from you is browsing this thread:

1 guests