You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Tuesday, May 29th 2007, 6:55pm

and more info

http://www.gbss.org.uk/

Reg: Oct 28th 2006

Friday, September 28th 2007, 5:00am

Group B Strep

Can anyone give me more information about this please? I've just read about it on the net, no doc or midwife mentioned it to me but from I've read on the net it sounds kind 'a' dangerous to me. I also read that you normally get checked for it at about 36 weeks and anyone can have it. So I mentioned it to the doc at last weeks check up. I said 'What about this Group B Strep thing'? She said, 'What about it? Do you have it?' I said 'I don't know, I thought I'm supposed to get checked for it' and she asked 'What makes you think you might have it?'. I said 'I don't know, I just read on the nest that in pregnancy you can just develop it randomly'. 'She said, 'You'd know if you had it as you'd have an itchy discharge and so would your partner'.

I'm still a bit concerned though coz I have read about people who didn't know they had it during labour and their babies ended up having certain problems.

Have any of you been routinely checked for it? Should I just leave it then if that's what the doc said? Just want to be on the safe side.

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Friday, September 28th 2007, 5:38am

have a search on this website (see the "search" button up on the top of the page?) cos this question has been asked & answered quite a few times before and rather than me repeating it you will get better info from the other answers :D I probably will forget some stuff! :D :D :D

Reg: Oct 19th 2006

What's Up?
Tech support is currently limited

Friday, September 28th 2007, 7:12am

Reg: Sep 13th 2006

Children: One daughter

Friday, September 28th 2007, 8:24am

I had it picked up in a routine urine test at the start of my pregnancy but I paid for the sensitive test at 35-37 weeks which is far more accurate than the rubbish nhs tests. The mw wouldn't treat it so I got antibiotics from gp. I had no idea I had an infection and this business about itchy discharge and your partner knowing is rubbish - it's a silent infection in the main part without symptoms and not necessarily sexually transmitted! In fact I read somewhere you're more likely to get it from hospital treatment than sex.

My sensitive test showed I don't have gbs and there is a 96% chance I won't have it at time of labour so I can go ahead with my homebirth rather than having the iv antibiotics etc which are routinely recommended to anyone who has every tested positive in any pregnancy.

There's loads on here about it so read more and get the facts. If you are still worried have the sensitive test which costs £32.

Friday, September 28th 2007, 11:49am

Thanx for that info girls. I will check it out! x

csam

Star

United Kingdom

Friday, September 28th 2007, 12:01pm

I orderded a pack online. The pack is free then you send off the results with a cheque/credit card details for £32

I should get my results back tomorrow.

xxxx

Tuesday, October 2nd 2007, 2:35pm

Did you get your results Csam? Hope everything is ok hun.
xx

csam

Star

United Kingdom

Tuesday, October 2nd 2007, 3:08pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Emilia44
Did you get your results Csam? Hope everything is ok hun.
xx

Oops sorry, with everything else going on I forgot to say. They came back negative happydance

Did you test babypink ?

xxxxx

Tuesday, October 2nd 2007, 3:12pm

That's great news hun. Well done. One more stress off your mind.
xx

Saturday, October 6th 2007, 11:06pm

Csam, nope, I didn't end up testing. I asked a doctor and midwidfe and they both said you would have symptoms if you were affected so I didn't test. Glad to hear the measurements are showing average now... I am still getting different figures from different midwives and docs!

Rivka

Reg: Oct 11th 2005

Wednesday, November 28th 2007, 4:57pm

Just wanted to bump this up. Tested positive for GBS over a week ago and wanted to find out if anyone else was in the same position?

Reg: Oct 17th 2006

Friday, November 30th 2007, 11:52am

First time I've heard about this Rivka.
Thanks for bumping it up.
xxx

Eeyore

TECHNICAL ADMIN

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

What's Up?
Manners are appreciated
and free to use

Wednesday, February 6th 2008, 9:14pm

Bumping this up

Eeyore

TECHNICAL ADMIN

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

What's Up?
Manners are appreciated
and free to use

Thursday, February 7th 2008, 7:51pm

** GBS - GROUP B STREP **

This is an old post from the forum.

The team feel very strongly that every pregnant member should be aware of GBS

http://www.gbss.org.uk/ - excellent informative website

and a couple of old threads

Originally posted by gbsbaby

And for those of you who don't know about GBS, which included me in my last pregnancy...

MY STORY...
Two years ago our first baby was diagnosed with meningitis at only 18 hours old. The first time we'd ever heard of Group B Strep (GBS) was in Group B Strep Support leaflet handed to us by the midwife when our newborn daughter was on a ventilator fighting for her life in intensive care. Isabel survived, but the infection caused permanent brain damage leaving her blind with severe cerebral palsy. At 2 years of age she cannot roll, sit, crawl, stand, walk or even hold her own toys. To read in this leaflet that not only could I have been tested for GBS in the last month of pregnancy but, as an identified GBS carrier, that intravenous antibiotics during labour might have reduced the severity or even prevented her infection was, and remains, simply devastating.

WHAT IS GROUP B STREP?

Most of us have not heard of Group B Streptococcus (also known as GBS, Group B Strep, Beta Strep, Beta Haemolytic Strep, Strep B and streptococcus agalactiae), yet it is a common type of bacteria carried by about one third of us without us usually knowing.

Occasionally, however, GBS causes life threatening infections in 1 in every 1,000 babies born in the UK. Each year, 700 babies develop GBS infections (Septicaemia, Pneumonia, or Meningitis, 100 of these babies die, and 20 babies suffer long-term mental and/or physical handicaps, from mild learning disabilities to severe mental retardation, loss of sight, loss of hearing and lung damage. GBS is also a recognised cause of preterm delivery, maternal infections, stillbirths and late miscarriages.

BUT GBS CAN BE TESTED FOR AND INFECTIONS PREVENTED IN MOST CASES. Testing for GBS saves lives!

HOW DO I KNOW IF I CARRY GBS?
GBS does not make you feel unwell and there are no symptoms (there is no smelly discharge as some midwives claim). The only way to find out if you carry the GBS bacteria is to be tested for it.

The GBS test sometimes used by the NHS (often called an HVS) is not reliable. It gives a false negative result half the time when it should be positive (it says you don't carry GBS when you do!), although if you get a positive result from the HVS test this is accurate.

There is a more reliable test, Enriched Culture Method (ECM) test, but it is only available privately at present. The test is simply a swab and is sent by post to the lab, so you can test anywhere in the UK. It costs £28 and results take 3 working days. Many busy health professionals do not yet know of this new (May 2003) more reliable test yet. So if you need more details go to "How Can I Get an ECM Test" on the Group B Strep Support website www.gbss.org.uk or from The Doctors Laboratory website http://www.tdlpathology.com/testinfo/lt_GBS.htm.

The best time to do the ECM test is between 35-37 weeks. This is because the GBS bacteria comes and goes in your body. Any earlier, you might test negative only to have the bacteria come back nearer your due date. Any later and you might give birth before the result is back!

WHAT IF I TEST POSITIVE FOR GBS?
A positive test for GBS means the GBS bacteria was present as the swab was taken - NOT that you or your baby will become ill. Roughly 230,000 babies are born each year to women who carry GBS and, of these, only 700 develop GBS infection. Carrying GBS is perfectly natural and normal - it just that you should be offered intravenous antibiotics as soon as you go into labour or when your waters break, and then 4-hourly until delivery. Oral antibiotics against GBS carriage are NOT effective. A detailed leaflet "For Women Who Carry GBS" can be downloaded from The Group B Strep Support website for you to hand to your midwife and/or obstetrician.

If you test positive for GBS and are having a Caesarean you ONLY need to be offered intravenous antibiotics against GBS infection in your baby if you are also in labour or your waters have broken.

WHAT IF I TEST NEGATIVE?
Research shows that a negative ECM result from a test done at 35-37 weeks of pregnancy is 96% predictive of your still not carrying GBS 5 weeks later, which means there's only a 4% chance that you will acquire GBS carriage over that time. So you do not need to be offered intravenous antibiotics this time, although you should take the test again in future pregnancies because, since GBS carriage can come and go, you may be carrying GBS in a future pregnancy.

WHAT IF I CAN'T BE TESTED?
Testing is not essential. If you have not managed to be tested (or the result is not available), or the less reliable NHS test has come back negative you should discuss with your midwife or obstetrician about your birth plan and being offered intravenous antibiotics if certain circumstances or 'risk factors' occur during your labour. These risk factors (you go into labour or waters break before 37 weeks, your waters break and 12 hours later you still haven't delivered, or a raised temperature) are explained in the short "GBS & Pregnancy 2 page summary" and more detailed "GBS: The Facts" can be downloaded from The Group B Strep Support website for you to hand to your midwife and/or obstetrician.

IF GBS IS SO RARE, WHY SHOULD I BE TESTED?
Many midwives, doctors, and obstetricians will tell you there is no need to have a test for GBS as it is so rare. Serious GBS infections in newborns are very rare, but testing for GBS will make the chances of your baby being affected even more unlikely IF you find out you are a carrier BEFORE you give birth. More important than how rare GBS infections are is the fact that they are largely preventable!

Pregnant women are routinely tested for several rare conditions - HIV, syphilis, spina bifida, Hepatitis B. You are not being paranoid asking for a test - just taking precautions for the healthy delivery of your baby. Not testing for GBS currently contributes to 120 babies dying or being disabled each year. Around 90 of which might have fully recovered had their mothers been tested for GBS in late pregnancy and given intravenous antibiotics before birth. As there is a simple, cheap test (that doesn't cost the NHS a penny) that can prevent GBS infections why not take it? GBS testing is routine in Germany, France, Belgium, Australia, Canada, and the United States.

AND IN MY NEXT PREGNANCY?
If you test positive for GBS in this pregnancy, this does not necessarily mean you will carry GBS in any subsequent pregnancy. If possible you should be offered an ECM test at 35-37 weeks of pregnancy to establish whether you are still carrying GBS. If you are, then you should be offered intravenous antibiotics as soon as possible once labour has started.

If a reliable ECM test result is not available and labour starts after 37 weeks of pregnancy, then your previous GBS carriage status should be treated as an additional risk factor (increasing the risk of a baby developing GBS infection from an estimated 1 in 1,000 in the general population, to an estimated risk of approximately 1 in 500 for a woman whose current GBS status is unknown, but where GBS was isolated prior to the current pregnancy). Group B Strep Support's medical advisory panel's view is that 'previous carrier' status alone is insufficient to recommend offering intravenous antibiotics in labour against GBS infection in the baby, unless another risk factor is also present.

AND PLEASE TRY NOT TO WORRY
Reading about the worst effects of GBS can be pretty worrying. PLEASE remember that GBS is just one of a number of types of bacteria which normally live in our bodies and most babies are not affected by exposure to them. In the UK, approximately 700,000 babies are born each year, of these, 230,000 to mothers who carry GBS and, of which only 700 develop GBS infection. If you are found to carry GBS, this is perfectly natural and normal - you should just take the best possible protection for your baby, should they be susceptible, by having intravenous antibiotics during labour and delivery

I don't want to frighten anyone, just reach the parents of that 1 in 1000 baby and spare them the heartbreak we went through with our baby daughter. I would gladly have paid £28 for her not to be disabled
-----

Reg: Jul 17th 2006

Thursday, March 6th 2008, 1:11pm

i just tested positive for this too....

Rivka

Reg: Oct 11th 2005

Thursday, March 6th 2008, 1:14pm

Don't get worried about it PP. Just been through the whole thing so if you'd like to know what to expect please feel free to pm me.

JoJo

Ace

• "JoJo" started this thread

Reg: Sep 26th 2005

Thursday, March 6th 2008, 1:24pm

Have you received any information with your letter?

I know its a shock to find out that you have it but at least you know. Now that you know you will be given anti b's whilst in labour and when baby is here you should also expect to be given your own room.

Jo

Reg: Jul 17th 2006

Thursday, March 6th 2008, 1:39pm

thanks... have just got notified by text so have to wait for the letter to come through the post in the next few days. have told the hospital who are posting me a sticker to put on my file...

who knew...?! just goes to show you - no weird discharge etc and there it is...

KIRSTY G

Reg: Sep 27th 2006

Children: 7 year old little man, and B/G twins

Thursday, March 6th 2008, 1:52pm

Same here ... completely symptomless

At least you know now, and can take precautions during labour and birth ...

gemmab

FORUM MENTOR

Reg: Feb 8th 2008

Children: 2 miracle icsi boys and 2 step kids.

What's Up?
Getting ready for another egg donation!!!

Wednesday, July 22nd 2009, 10:15am

Strep B

Can I ask has anyone considered getting tested for this?

I have an appointment with consultant tomorrow and going to ask about being tested for it.

I know in USA and some counties in this country it is a routine test for pg women.

Thanks

gemmab

FORUM MENTOR

What's Up?

Thursday, July 23rd 2009, 7:01am

thanks mrs J

blowkiss

compley

Megastar

• "compley" celebrates his birthday today

Reg: Apr 30th 2006

Children: DS and DD

Thursday, July 23rd 2009, 7:44am

I had the group B strep test with H, and will be doing it again this time, infact next week (can't believe I'm at the stage to do it again already, it's gone fast!).

It's a personal choice, I did lots of reading, spoke to my mw, but in the end, decided it was something I felt I wanted to have done.
As they don't routinely test for it, at least not where I am, I did it through a private laboratory, who were very efficient, and I'm using them again.

xxx

gemmab

FORUM MENTOR

What's Up?

Thursday, July 23rd 2009, 8:01am

Thanks Laura- going to ask consultant today but like you might opt to get it done privately.

For a small amount of money its worth the piece of mind.x

United Kingdom

Reg: Apr 2nd 2008

Children: One beautiful little boy born 31/07/09, One beautiful little girl born 25/02/11

Thursday, July 23rd 2009, 11:55am

Hi Gemma, I'm also going to get myself tested, my mw/yoga teacher highly recommends getting tested.

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: DS Born 2002 / DD Born 2010

Thursday, July 23rd 2009, 1:43pm

I unknowingly had Strep B when I was having J, they swabbed me in labour and found it so I came out of hospital with Antibiotics.

My clinic also picked it up about 18 months ago during their routine swabs although my last lot before this tx were clear, I made sure my MW knows and now have lovely stickers all over my pg notes so when I do go into labour I'll have Anti B's again.

Reg: Aug 24th 2008

Sunday, September 13th 2009, 8:37pm

Strep B test

Anyone getting the Strep B test? Im a bit concrened about it and realise that if I had a strep B infection it could so easily be prevented from being passed to baby.

I know its not available on the NHS but would like one done anyway. Meant to mention it to the MW last week but forgot. Since Im nearly 37 weeks now Im worried Ive left it too late. Any thoughts?

xxx

Ginger74

Superstar

Germany

Reg: Aug 7th 2008

Children: It's a girl!

Monday, September 14th 2009, 4:25pm

well I've done test a week ago (36wks) and this is when they do it in Austria in the hospital, I just mentioned this to my DR and this was organized. I guess it's okay in my case/God willing as I didn't get any telephone calls (will confirm tomorrow), best of luck with it. :hugs:

Reg: Apr 5th 2009

Children: Blessed with a beautiful little boy

Saturday, October 10th 2009, 1:15pm

Anyone had Strep B?

Just found out I have Strep B and got myself into a right state. Have spoken to the delivery suite and the midwife was lovely and told me it is perfectly normal and nothing really to worry about but i'll need to go straight in when I go into labour or if my waters break so they can give me intravenous antibiotics and then will have to stay in hospital for 48 hours after so they can keep an eye on peanut. Still cant help worrying though, to think i've got something that could, if only a tiny chance, kill my baby really upsets me. I know i'm a stresshead and worry too much. Sorry for going on x

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Saturday, October 10th 2009, 2:06pm

Reg: Nov 20th 2008

Children: Cambridge

Sunday, October 11th 2009, 10:00pm

ive got it cheryl

as long as you get the antibiotics in a few hours before delivery baby will be protected

at my unit they only keep you in for 12 hrs observation if you have had antibiotics

try not to worry...... easier said than done i know

Monday, October 12th 2009, 10:12am

Hi Cheryl,

Please don't worry. I too have strep b. In fact, 1:4 women have it but few babies get it. Like you I didn't want to take any chances, no matter how small so I took the test. Take comfort in the fact you know you have it and your little peanut will be looked after :cheese:

Reg: Apr 5th 2009

Children: Blessed with a beautiful little boy

Monday, October 12th 2009, 12:47pm

Thanks girls, I think it really scared me because i'd never heard of it and nobody told me they were testing me for it but then a letter just turned up telling me I had it and all I could see was the paragraph telling me that 10% of little ones that dont make it. I think i've come to terms with it now, in fact i'm trying to think of it as a positive, at least I know and precautions can be put in place to try and protect little peanut where as I suppose theres loads of women out there that dont even know. I think they should do the test as standard. xx

Monday, October 12th 2009, 1:02pm

Cheryl, 10% of the little ones that actually catch strep B don't make it. Hardly ANY of the babies born to mothers with Strep B actually go on to catch it. If your LO does catch strep B they will flag it up EARLY (cause they will be monitoring) and it will be treated early meaning that LO will most likely be ok. Thats my understanding anyway.

xxxx

Reg: Jun 6th 2008

Wednesday, November 3rd 2010, 2:24pm

Just found out I have strep B and its been useful to read about it on this thread so just wanting to bump it up an raise awareness.

Out of the blue yest I received a call from my GP practice to say that I have an infection and have to go in and pick up a prescription for antibiotics. When I asked what the infection was she said it just says streptococcus...after lots of googling I got myself into a bit of a panic but have had a bit 0of time to take it all in now and think its positive that its been picked up so early (following a urine sample at my booking in appt with midwife).

Having now done lots of reading I plan on speaking to my GP about it and my midwife when I next see her just to be as informed as poss. I'm also going to do a private test (as described in previous posts) for the cost of around £30 between 35-37 weeks in order to establish whether I will have it during labour so that we can take the necessary precautions (antibiotics via IV).

As usual FZ has helped put my mind at rest esp knowing how many ladies are affected but go on to have healthy babies x

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE