You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

vic77

• "vic77" started this thread

Reg: Apr 28th 2009

Children: BFP

Wednesday, June 3rd 2009, 10:34pm

**ANTIBIOTICS IN PREGNANCY**

***ADMIN NOTE*
This thread has been merged with several others, all relating to the same topic. If you are prescribed antibiotics during pregnancy then check that your GP or that the prescriber knows you are pregnant. If they are aware then they will prescribe you antibiotics which are safe to take in pregnancy. It is perfectly safe to take these antibiotics during pregnancy and it is much safer for a Mum-to-be to take antibiotics than to leave an infection to potentially get worse.

Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs) are extremely common during pregnancy. An untreated UTI can cause problems further up the urinary tract leading to infections in the kidneys. These types of infections are easily treated with the correct administration of antibiotics.***

Hi :smile: I am roughly about 6 weeks pregnant at the moment and have been taking clexane and gestone everyday but on Sunday woke up with in a lot of pain from my leg which I could barely walk on and it was swollen, anyway the next day I went to my doctor who prescribed me antibiotics (fluxicillan) and assured me they were safe to use.
I really don't like the thought of using antibiotics so early on in pregnancy and feel like I should stop taking them although I have another 4 days left to take.
I don't know what could be worse for the baby, the infection or the antibiotics?
Has anyone else had to use antibiotics during their pregnancy?

Vic xx

pamelag088

Superstar

Reg: Oct 20th 2008

Children: tj born 20/11/09

Wednesday, June 3rd 2009, 10:42pm

hey there

Im sure antibiotics are safeduring pregnancy, My MW told me I could have them for a UTI.

Im same though, didnt want to use anything, rather grin and bare it but Im sure dr is right and will cause no harm to your LO

Maria72

Italy

What's Up?
ohffs

Thursday, June 4th 2009, 5:58pm

Hi, some antibiotics are perfectly safe to use during pregnancy. You mustn't leave infections untreated while pregnant. That is more dangerous than taking antibiotics.
You must not stop taking antibiotics if you have started the course as you might 'breed' some resitant bacteria and your infection WILL get worse and those antibiotics won't work on you anymore. If the GP said you can take them, then don't need to worry about it.
Maybe call you GP for some reassurance.

vic77

• "vic77" started this thread

Reg: Apr 28th 2009

Children: BFP

Monday, June 8th 2009, 12:26am

Thanks ladies thumbup

I decided to carry on taking antibiotics, I think I am being overly cautious and the doctor definetely wouldn't prescibed me them if they were dangerous to use. I think I will relax a bit more once I get to 12 weeks but at the moment Im just a bit :scared:

Mavis

MENTOR

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 15th 2008

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Monday, June 8th 2009, 6:11am

You did the right thing Vic, I know its a worry (I'm currently taking antibiotics for a UTI) but it is very important to your baby that you remain well. And your GP prescribed you an antibiotic which has been safely taken by pregnant women.
I hope your leg is all better soon!
blowkiss
M
x

Maria72

Italy

What's Up?
ohffs

Monday, June 8th 2009, 6:11pm

Hi Vic, I think it's normal to be scared, but you have done the right thing.
Good luck and enjoy your pregnancy!

Duffymoon

Megastar

Reg: Jun 11th 2007

Children: Boy/girl twins born 2010

Monday, December 21st 2009, 2:13pm

Antibiotics in pregnancy

Just a quick question really. I've got the lurgy of some description - cold turned nasty basically. Anyway, having seen a doc on Saturday and been told my chest was clear, I've been back today (having had little sleep over the weekend due to cough :sadface: ) and now my chest is wheezy and crackly (no surprise to me!). Plus with inflamed throat and general yukkiness, the doc thinks antibiotics will be needed as my immune system won't be able to fight whatever it is.

She's prescribed Cefaclor and said it's up to me if I take it or not given most people are reluctant to take anti b's during pregnancy but that it is a *safe* one. I possibly would ride it out but with Christmas day this week and having rellies over whose own immune systems are rock bottom, am tempted to pop the pills.

Am I worrying over nothing?

xx

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Monday, December 21st 2009, 2:24pm

Yes.

If you develop a nasty chest infection, feel lousy, get run down, don't sleep well and don't feel like eating then you're not going to be doing yourself or your baby any favours. Your immune system is compromised and you're ill, the risk of you becoming 'more' ill is high and these antibiotics should have you on the road to recovery in time for Christmas without affecting your baby.

You need to look after yourself and that means helping yourself get well so don't worry, take your medication and GET WELL SOON!

Duffymoon

Megastar

Monday, December 21st 2009, 2:32pm

Thank you Dr Bells :D I feel so flippin crap my head can't deal with choices! I needed the doc to say what you did!! :smile:

xxxx

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Monday, December 21st 2009, 5:26pm

Just to reassure you further Duffster, I took cefaclor when pregnant with Mooch, although I can't for the life of me remember what for, and she is fine (a normal, naughty and exhausting 3 year old today!).

compley

Megastar

Reg: Apr 30th 2006

Children: DS and DD

Monday, December 21st 2009, 8:33pm

Just wanted to say hope you are soon feeling better Duffy xxx

Mavis

MENTOR

United Kingdom

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Monday, December 21st 2009, 9:01pm

Hi Duffy,
I'm sorry you're poorly :cuddle

Your twins need you to be fighting fit - if it was me, I would take them. I took a similar antibiotic in the first trimester, these antibiotics are as safe as any drug can be in pregnancy.

But if you are worried for any reason, perhaps see how you are feeling tomorrow. If you are feeling a little better, you could try going without.
But if you do take them, do finish the whole course.

M
x

Ros

Megastar

Reg: Mar 14th 2008

Children: twin girls thanks to PGD!

Tuesday, December 22nd 2009, 12:54pm

Oh dear Dufster, sorry you are feeling under the weather.
Just wanted to say that I have been on antibiotics for the last couple of months, maybe more. Firstly it was big doses and now a low dose every day, just to keep away UTI's which I seem to get all the time.
The docs said it's safer to take the antibios if I'm not right, than to not take them. I am on amoxycilin which is another 'safe' one.
Hope you're feeling better soon x

Duffymoon

Megastar

Monday, January 4th 2010, 10:13am

Hello again :rolleyes:

I think I shall be going back to the docs this week as still haven't shifted this wretched cough and think I may have something new as throat is sore and gritty again :rolleyes: I did take the full course of antibiotics and now have blumin thrush as well X(

So I have two questions!!

1) Do you think the doc will just prescribe more antibiotics? I'm not coughing up anything coloured but I am wheezy (I guess lungs are smaller anyway!)
2) Am i ok to use canesten? in any form? I do have some cream but wondered if the oral tablet or pessary would be better? I've tried googling and can't find anything conclusive.

Sorry for the moan....all i seem to do these days! Thanks for all your advice thus far and any that you can throw my way will be much appreciated!! :cuddle

xxx

mrs_smiff

Superstar

Reg: Jan 10th 2007

Children: 5 kids aged 21,18,14,13 and a little miracle born April 09

Monday, January 4th 2010, 10:18am

I think Canesten is fine in pregnancy hun. They prescribe it while breastfeeding anyway. I would use the pessaries and cream to start with to see if that shifts it before using the oral one. (Get it free from the docs too!!) The docs may well prescribe more anti biotics. You really need to get this infection knocked on the head, particularly with you being advancing in weeks with twins and there be a higher chance of your babies coming early anyway. Doctors really wouldn't prescribe antibiotics which weren't safe to take. Obviously they don't run trials of drugs on pregnant women for moral reasons, but they do collate information on side effects which gives them the stats they need to say whether a drug is safe or not. (I went through all this with two different docs when I was pregnant too!!)

My instinct would be to take what theyoffer you. Better to be healthy and rested when the Dufflets arrive. Keep warm hun and hope you feel better soon. xx

Mavis

MENTOR

United Kingdom

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Monday, January 4th 2010, 10:25am

Crikey Duffy, poor you, you really have been in the wars haven't you :cuddle

Are you coughing anything up at all? If so, ring up your surgery ahead of the appointment and ask for a specimen pot. It's unlikely to be nasty if it just looks like phlegm, but it is worth a go I think.
The GP probably will prescribe more antibiotics... he should also swab your throat too.
Cannestan - I should think that would be ok, but you could check with your midwife/pharmacist/NHS direct. Are you sure its thrush? It probably is given the history, but maybe just mention it to your midwife either way.

Hope you feel much better soon,
M
x

Ros

Megastar

Reg: Mar 14th 2008

Children: twin girls thanks to PGD!

Monday, January 4th 2010, 11:27am

Hey Dufster, sorry you are still under the weather. I would think that you need a few more antibios but your doc will know for sure,
Re the thrush, it is well known that antibios can bring that on, it did for me too. Every consultant I saw said that taking a pessary and cream would be no problem for the babies and it is so common in pregnancy. I did that and it helped loads. They said just take one pessary, and not to take the oral one. I hope you get sorted out soon x

Duffymoon

Megastar

Monday, January 4th 2010, 4:58pm

Thanks as always for your advice ladies. I missed the emergency appts today but hopefully will get one tomorrow else it's a two week wait ...:what:

xx

Maria72

Italy

What's Up?
ohffs

Monday, January 4th 2010, 5:38pm

Hi Duffy,
sorry you are unwell blowkiss Antibiotics can cause thrush cos they kill the friendly bacteria that live down there. Drink lots of actimel and (this always works for me) make a solution of about 500ml of warm water and 1 table spoon of bicarbonate of soda (totally harmless to you and the baby) and rinse your downbelows with it after washing. The bicarbonate gives the thrush a nasty pH shock and it dies or doesn't grow as much. Talk to the doctor about taking the canesten.
Hope you get better soon :hugs:

Duffymoon

Megastar

Saturday, January 9th 2010, 9:05am

Thanks for your advice ladies. For one reason or another, namely snow and ante natal courses, I wasn't able to speak to a doctor until yesterday. She's prescribed double the dose of antibiotics and Beconase nasal spray and Canesten pessary and cream. The pharmacy wouldn't part with the latter without a prescription!

Incidentally, my midwife said no to the pessary just to confuse matters. I'm just going to use cream for now until i've finished the course of ab's and then see if it's still bad hopefully that will be that.

Intrigued why when i start ab's my cough gets worse - do they loosen all the crap off your chest or something???

Been 3 weeks of hacking cough at night now :sadface:

xx

Reg: Jun 8th 2009

Children: I believe it will happen one day for us

Wednesday, March 10th 2010, 5:11pm

19 weeks with Water Infection / Blood in Urine

Hi Girls

I wondered if any of you could relate to a similar situation.

I started to suffer from cystitis symptoms on Saturday so took myself to the doctors on Monday and they tested my urine there and then but couldnt find anything wrong but said they would send the results away for further analysis. It has gradually got worse of last 24 hours and last night, when I spend a penny it was like razor blades and noticed some blood in my urine. It really feels like I am on fire down there all the time so went back to the doctors this morning and they have prescribed me some anitibiotics which they say are safe during pregnancy (does worry me slightly though!) Trouble is they are not sure exactly what the infection is caused by as it came back as multiple (may have been caused by bacteria in the specimin bottle) So I have done another one and they are retesting to make sure that the anitibiotics they have prescribed will work (Cefradine)

I have heard that this can be quite dangerous if it doesnt clear up, any advice is really appreciated.

Thank you ladies xxxx

Reg: Aug 1st 2009

Children: 4 boys 3 living 1 deceased

What's Up?
I have bad days and then i have worse days.

Thursday, March 11th 2010, 10:32am

hi rach

take the antibiotics love, when results come back from retest they may prescribe a pessary as well. to insert it, you do not need to use the applicator, when youre pregnant, the drs prefer you to use fingers only.

sorry youre having a worrying time but well done for sorting it immediately. im sure you will be fine just take the tablets hun.

take care

jade
xxx

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Thursday, March 11th 2010, 11:27am

Yes, take the antibiotics. If you have burning and blood when you pee then something isn't right, whatever the results come back as you'll need some antibiotics eventually and it's better to start them now before things get even worse. The bladder doesn't drain as well while you're pregnant so you're much more prone to urinary infections.

If you're having burning down there too then Jade could be right in that you may have thrush and need some antifungal cream too. It all sounds very uncomfortable :(

If you 'do' have a urinary infection 'and' thrush then the antibiotics may make the thrush worse so it would be wise to cut down on high sugar foods, cut down on bread/pasta (wheat based foods), take some acidophilous tablets, stop using any perfumed shower/bath products and also if you wear a panty liner then stop for a while.

Reg: Dec 30th 2008

Thursday, March 11th 2010, 7:52pm

Hope this clears up for you quickly., I only ever had cystitis once and its damn uncomfortable.

Maria72

Italy

What's Up?
ohffs

Friday, March 12th 2010, 6:08pm

Rachs I have had exactly the same as you (although I am not pregnant) and got given cefradine. It's very painful, it's the real cystitis. Hope you get better soon blowkiss

Reg: Jun 8th 2009

Children: I believe it will happen one day for us

Wednesday, March 17th 2010, 8:55am

Thank you ladies for all your advice, :smile:

I have finished the anti-biotics now and it is slightly better but they do now think I thrush too which could also be causing the burning feeling so applying the canesten cream! The things we have to do hey! :rolleyes: xxxx

lily1

Reg: Nov 23rd 2009

Children: None yet

Thursday, April 22nd 2010, 6:23pm

Antibiotics safe for uti?

Hi I am about 61/2 weeks and think I am getting a UTI as it is starting to sting when I go to the loo. I am going to the doctor tomorrow but I'm worried he may prescribe antibiotics. Does anyone know if they are safe to take this early in pregnancy and which ones are safe/not safe? Also, is there any way I can just leave it and hope it will go on its own with cranberry juice etc or are antibiotics the only option? Any other suggestions?

Thanks xxx

Reg: Aug 1st 2009

Children: 4 boys 3 living 1 deceased

What's Up?
I have bad days and then i have worse days.

Thursday, April 22nd 2010, 6:33pm

hi lily1

through this pg i have constantly had uti's. they prescribe amoxycillian for me and it usually does the trick (for a wk or 2). just a quick question, are you on any kind of pessaries things. the progestorone things? if so, it might be worth ringing clinic and seeing if you could use the back door so to speak. cos sometimes those pessary things do have that effect.

sorry if ive been no help, im sure someone will be along soon enough with a bit more info than me

jade

xxxx

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Friday, April 23rd 2010, 10:34am

Hi Lily,

Docs have antibiotics they can use in pregnancy for UTI's. UTI's are quite common in pregnancy. If they do give you antibiotics then definately take them as you don't want it to get worse and then need something more. Its good that you've caught it early!!

Let us know how you get on honey!

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE