You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Reg: Aug 24th 2008

Tuesday, February 16th 2010, 9:32am

oooh ladies! You lot have really inspired me to keep exclusively bf until 6 months. DD exclusively bf at the moment but for various reasons (all selfish ones I might add!! :snigger: ) I had thought of introducing solids in the next month perhaps (dd is 19 weeks). Now I'm going for the full 26 weeks.

Thanks ladies!
Sept '08 1st IVF :BFN:
Jan '09 2nd IVF :BFP: bab10
Dec '11 3rd IVF :BFN: 1xfrostie
June '12 failed thaw
Nov '12 4th IVF :BFN: 3 snow babies

Reg: Jan 17th 2009

Children: 1 STEPSON 15 YEARS OLD & ONE DD 3 as a result of 1st ICSI :)

Tuesday, February 16th 2010, 10:07am

Lizzy OMG is it only 7 weeks till our wee ladies are 6 months :8o: :D Hasnt time just flown past?!? I like you will definetly be sticking at exclusively BF until B is 6 months as so far i have really enjoyed the special bond (& convenience :snigger: ) we have gained through BF & i will be a bit :sadface: when she starts weaning.
SCOTTIE
1st ICSI 09 - DD born :girl_blum:
Jan 12 FET - :BFN::-(
Our journey has ended...forever grateful for our miracle [zx160]

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "SCOTTIE" (Feb 16th 2010, 10:11am)

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

• "Bells" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Tuesday, February 16th 2010, 10:52am

kiwimaya, that's fantastic!!!!

Clever baby waiting for that 6 month guideline before knocking back a beaker of aptamil :snigger:

compley

Megastar

Reg: Apr 30th 2006

Children: DS and DD

Tuesday, February 16th 2010, 8:40pm

Well, we got to 13 days before L was 6 months, exclusively bfing. We did start introducing solids then, and one bottle of formula late at night. But,that bottle is on top of her bf's, so am still doing all her bf's, day (and night still!).
I wasn't at all sure how bfing was going to go this time round, with a toddler to look after too. It's had its highs and lows, but I'm really glad we've kept going. Am hoping to keep going until I return to work, when L will be 8 and a half months, though for one reason and another, I think we may have to make the switch to formula then. (Though I'm not sure what to do really, may be asking for some advice on possible options there!)

Oh, and I'm quite excited. Our local children's centre is starting a breastfeeding support group, and they want Mum's who have breastfed to help run it. So will be starting some training for it next month.

xxx

<

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Wednesday, February 17th 2010, 9:54am

Compley I've recently gone back to work when DD2 was 8 months old. I am still BF and have been really uprised by how flexible its is. The first week or so I took my pump in to work and expressed and gave MIL (who is looking after her) a bottle of boob juice. However, it quickly became a faff and she often doesn't want a bottle so I've stopped bothering. Now she feeds from me when I am there and manages without when I am not. I work a 10 hour day on a Monday and got a bit engorged the first couple of weeks, but now its not a problem. I would advise that you express a bit initially and take some breast pads and maybe a clean top just in case of any leaks.

Reg: Nov 3rd 2008

Children: Mum to Cody Charles

Thursday, February 18th 2010, 3:17am

Cant believe I'm saying this, but I plan to breastfeed for at least a year (another 6 months) as a supplement rather than use any formula. Just started a few solids now. We had a tough start too, milk coming in a week late after my c-section (so 3 formula feeds to take the edge off as he lost more than 10% by day 3), a mild tongue tie we decided not to cut, a floppy larynx causing choking while feeding, mastitis scare and fever, blocked ducts, rotating feeds around bleeding and cracked nipples (thank goodness for nipple shields they helped him latch and me heal) ... Miraculously everything got tolerable around 6 weeks and non-stressful or painful at long last by 3 months :-)

I honestly thought I would hate it and it would be traumatic forever and I'd be stopping as soon as I could. My man's also turned into a boob tweeker - honestly he holds my boob like its a bottle and loves putting it in and out of his mouth by himself, his latest trick is snapping my bra strap and grinning at me. At least hes stopped flailing his head round and growling lol. Ah, such great together time :-) Just extended going back to work for another 6 months, so not til 1st August now, feel really lucky to be able to, hopefully I can organise going back part-time then. Amazing how your plans change!!
IVF/ISCI Nov08 BFP Cody born 8/09
FET-Oct & Dec10 BFN
IVF/ICSIJun11 BFP

Reg: Mar 27th 2009

Children: 2!

Friday, February 19th 2010, 9:59pm

Cheers Bells and congratulations Deirdre and Laura. I suppose including solids we did introduce them baby led weaning style before the 6months - E was completely beside himself whenever anyone ate food so about time he joined in. But milkwise 6 months - yay!I can't believe we got there either, we were taking it a day at a time early on. But once got to around about 8 weeks it was so much easier than all the sterilising faff and as people have said before, instant food, lovely cuddles and a great way to soothe. Its strange that people expect me to stop bf now that E is happy to down a mid morning beaker of formula, why when E has clearly thrived for the past 6 months!
We're going through the tricky part, as you mentioned Deirdre, that E frequently bobs off boob during feeding, rolls back and has a good smiley/milky look around, giving the whole world a boob flash . Makes it a bit more tricky when out and about or at home with friend/family! : D
xxx
3 M/C
dx tubal and endo
IVf Nov '08 - BFP!
DS1 08/09!
Failed FET Nov '10
IVF March '11 cancelled
IVF/ISCI July '11 - BFP
DS2 April 2012
FETOct 201

Reg: Apr 28th 2008

Children: One daughter

Thursday, March 11th 2010, 3:32pm

Hi girls I never thought we would get to 6 months, but 10months later and still going strong! Weaning has been slow and relaxed but it has suited us just fine, she has solids three times a day now no problem, but still loads of BF's whenever she fancies.

I have started to give her one bottle of formula a day just this past week in preparation for going back to work part time, at first she just looked at the bottle like I was completely mad but seems to be getting the hang of it now. I've loved BF'ing so much that I've decided I'm going to let her self wean!

Well done to all you ladies whether you did it for 6 days, 6 months, or beyond. It's fab!
TTC naturally.
Severe Endo & Adhesions.
Excision of Endo June '08.
Baby girl born May '09!

Monday, March 15th 2010, 8:52am

almost 7 months now and still going... with solids as well. One thing that still strikes me as odd - we introduced solids and hes now on 3 good feeds a day but is still having all his usual breastfeeds as well, so feeding every few hours! Full breastfeeds every 4 hours plus breakfast lunch and dinner, where do they put it all?!
FET-Oct & Dec10 BFN
IVF/ICSIJun11 BFP

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

• United Kingdom

Monday, March 15th 2010, 10:27am

:snigger:

He obviously knows what he likes :D

Wednesday, April 7th 2010, 11:34am

Well we did it!!!!!!!!!!!!

B is :party: 6 MONTHS OLD TODAY :party: & I am so HAPPY to report has been exclusively breastfed till today woohoo

The last 6 months has been a rollercoaster but & i am so chuffed I got her this far. I have given her the best start I can so now babyrice/purees here we come :teehee:
SCOTTIE

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Wednesday, April 7th 2010, 1:08pm

woohoo well done Scottie! Feels good doesn't it?

We recently stopped after 13 months - her call, she didn't want it anymore :bawl:

x

ps don't bother with babyrice and purees - try baby led weaning :D

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

Reg: Jul 27th 2008

Children: IVF/ICSI miracle born 06 Jan 2010

Wednesday, April 7th 2010, 4:22pm

Woohoo - mega well done Scottie

I so hope i can follow in your footsteps and BF for 6 months, big test will be if i can express enough when i go back to work when shes 5 months - will never be able to say exclusively BF as she had a tiny amount of formula in hospital, wish i had been stronger when they said she needs fed NOW and wouldnt give me 15 mins to finish expressing X( but i suppose she did have low blood sugar so no energy to latch and expressing took about 20 mins and she was on a strick 3 hourly feed plan (sods never woke me up on time as asked)

TTC 4 yrs
Me - 32 yrs, DH - 32 yrs
clomid then IVF

1st IVF Apr 09 :BFP: bab21

Wednesday, April 7th 2010, 4:29pm

Just reread my post and i honestly dont know why her having a few mls in hospital bothers me - not like it would do her any harm, am i weird in feeling this way ?(
esp as i know she will have to go onto mixed feed eventually as i know with expressing during the day my supply wont be maintained to continue that for long

TTC 4 yrs
Me - 32 yrs, DH - 32 yrs
clomid then IVF

Grace

Princess of the Universe

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 29th 2008

Children: 1 beautiful little son conceived through ICSI and one equally beautiful little boy concieved naturally!

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Wednesday, April 7th 2010, 4:31pm

No Jane you are not weird. I had exactly the same thing and J was on formula top ups for about 2 weeks and I still feel a bit sad about it as he missed my colostrum.

I think that the night feeds are more important than the day ones for establishing supply so as long as you express regularly (maybe take your pump to work) and feed her all the time you're at home you should be able to do it.

Wednesday, April 7th 2010, 4:55pm

thanks Grace, good to know im not the only one to feel like this.
I do plan on expressing at work, will make full use of the return to work policy and take time to express a few times a day and also before i go to bed so hoping i have enough.
DH has allergies (nut, wasp sting and hayfever) so i want to provide breast milk for as long as possible and be very careful when weaning.
Bubble, i noticed you mention baby led weaning, what is this, is there a thread with info?

TTC 4 yrs
Me - 32 yrs, DH - 32 yrs
clomid then IVF

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Wednesday, April 7th 2010, 5:00pm

Bubble, i noticed you mention baby led weaning, what is this, is there a thread with info?

Of course :D Baby Led Weaning - an Interesting Approach

It's basically not doing purees and mush but giving baby finger foods only - and as far as possible what you're eating rather than making seperate meals. If you're really interested in it there's a great book by Gill Rapley which you could get. It's a perfect approach to follow breastfeeding as it continues the 'on demand' approach and you trust your baby to take what they want to eat, rather than trying to get spoons of food inside them. Have a look at the thread and shout if you have any questions - there's a few of us who have done it recently.

x

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

Wednesday, April 7th 2010, 5:03pm

Thanks Bubble i will have a look and do some research and see if it is for us, i like the idea of the baby taking what she needs as i have seen parents get stressed over how much puree there dd had and about her moving onto lumps etc

TTC 4 yrs
Me - 32 yrs, DH - 32 yrs
clomid then IVF

Thursday, April 8th 2010, 8:31pm

Bubble we are actually doing a combinaton of BLW/spoonfeeding. She seems to really love finger foods & I am suitably impressed as to how well she can handle foods already just a couple of days in :D I am glad I waited 6 months & resisted the temptation to wean early as i can she is now truly ready for food by the way she handles/takes it.
SCOTTIE

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Thursday, April 8th 2010, 8:38pm

We do a combination too. Tonight we have had chops with boiled potatoes and veg. DD2 has fed herself some little strips of pork, well just chewed them really, baby sweetcorn and green beans, whilst I have spooned down some potatoes mashe dup with milk and butter. I tend to let her feed herself at breakfast and dinner (lunch) and then do a bit of spoon feeding at tea time in a (fruitless) attempt to get some carbs down her so she will sleep through the night! Her dexterity is amazing, she has been able to pick up quite small things like peas from really early on and I think thats down to letting her feed herself.

compley

Megastar

Reg: Apr 30th 2006

Children: DS and DD

Friday, April 9th 2010, 7:37pm

Well done Scottie and B!

Sounds like B is enjoying her food already! We do a combination of BLW/spoon feeding. L is so good with finger food. Tomorrow, we are off to the beach (if the sun continues!), and it's great, she's not even 8 months until next week, but she'll be able to have sandwiches etc just like us, and join in the picnic!

xxx

<

Monday, April 12th 2010, 11:22pm

Jane and Grace, I agree, I can't strictly say Cody has been exclusively breast fed either and feel guilty about it, but my milk came in almost a week late and he had lost over the 10% by day 3. To keep him going for the rest of the week we ended up giving him a total of 3 top up formula feeds. Looking back I think managing with just those 3 feeds as a supplement was actually quite good going. But the breastfeeding consultants were quite anti any formula and kept saying his weight loss was still safe, while the doctors were concerned and pleased we did it! They all were arguing about it and we were stuck in the middle with a screaming baby hungry as hell. :-( The women next door to us had a sign on her door 'exclusively breast feeding. I'm sure it made her feel successful but it made me feel really inadequate.

Cody started solids about a week before the 6 months mark and we are also doing a mix of finger foods and spoon feeding. Would love to do baby led weaning but he just doesnt sleep through unless I can get a good amount in him. He loves feeding himself, rock melon and mango his fav at the moment (expensive tastes!) and is getting better and better so hopefully hes still progressing ok on the front. I must say though watching him self feed is still terrifying and I am paranoid about choking. A bit of kumera (like sweet potato - a common veg in NZ) got stuck and sent him red a few weeks ago and it really scared me/put me off.
FET-Oct & Dec10 BFN
IVF/ICSIJun11 BFP

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

• United Kingdom

Monday, April 12th 2010, 11:39pm

Oh you know what, if you get to 6 months (or three, or four, or five or twelve) and your baby has consumed a few bottles of formula then SO WHAT???? Seriously, if you have a baby that was being 'topped up' with formula as a newborn and you've fought your way back to exclusive breastfeeding then SHEESH!!! So many don't!!!

Please ladies, forgive yourselves. After the trauma of childbirth, being thrown in at the deep end with a new life to care for, while medical staff are offering you their own opinions and being tied to hospital policies it's hardly surprising that you end up being talked into using formula, for whatever reason!!

I know a very very good midwife who is totally natural birth and breastfeeding orientated. Her first baby was 'topped up' with formula and now, 15 years later, she's still mightily pissed off about it. Why? Because she feels guilty!!! That fifteen year old 'baby' now goes to Starbucks 3 times a week..... do you think it matters whether she had a few bottles of formula? Hell, I'd MUCH rather she wasn't now having a mochafloppacrappochino with three sugars!!!

If you fought to breastfeed despite stuff going on then you deserve a medal. End of.

JENSQUI

Megastar

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Tuesday, April 13th 2010, 8:43am

Definitely give yourselves a break about the formula! Martha lost almost 13% of her body weight in under 3 days and still wasn't suckling so there were on signs of my milk arriving. I don't feel guilty for the 2 days of intensive formula top ups to rehydrate her and would do the same again. At the moment i am able to express easily but if that all changed i would give her the odd bottle of formula so that i could have ao afternoon or eve off - i feel my sanity is just as important in looking after her as being breastfed. Just let those formula feeds go, life is too short to be fretting over them. X

me 38, DP 44, ttc since 2005
BFP May 07 - HB seen @ 8 wks but CRL only 7 weeks, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Jan 08 -m/c @ 11 wks (D&C)
BFP Jun 08 - early loss
BFP Dec 08 - HB & CRL ok @ 8 wks, but sac too small, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Apr 09 - Martha born 9th Jan 2010
BFP Feb 12 - Eliza born 13th Oct 2012

Reg: Nov 14th 2008

Tuesday, April 27th 2010, 8:51am

Hi

Evie is a day off 6 months old and just this week she has gone on to formula. Evie would never take bottles of EBM as she didn't like the teats. Well I tried some MAM bottles and she took to it straight away and hasn't wanted to breast feed since. I was worried that I would struggle feeding her when I went back to work as she didn't like bottles but she made the choice for me.

I'm pleased that I breastfed her for so long as it was some thing I never thought I would do and have ignored my family and husband by not putting her onto formula (their selfish reasons why would you even say it !!!).

I cazn't say she was exclusively breast fed as I started with food at 5 months but she has only had breast feds until this week so I'm really proud of myself.

Should I ever have another baby I will definitley breastfeed for 6 months + and that time it should be easier as I will introduce ebm bottles earlier.

Well done to all those of you who have breast fed exclusively for 6 months !!!

Tracy x x

Reg: Dec 18th 2007

Children: one perfect little miracle baby boy - now trying for a little brother or sister !!

Tuesday, June 1st 2010, 10:20am

Hey ladies
lucas is 6mths tomorrow and we're still BFing ok not exclusively as he has had the odd bottle of formula when with dp or family if i've popped out and not expressed (not that he ever drinks much of it) but i'm very happy and very proud of myself and hope to continue for as long as L wants too :)
blowkiss

IVF 5th time lucky
- BFP
Trying for No 2 - BFP

Jessica

Superstar

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 4th 2008

Children: One little boy, thanks to IVF

Tuesday, June 1st 2010, 12:01pm

Hi there everyone,

Lucas started on solids (baby led weaning) a day or so after he turned 6 months, and I've just recently introduced 1 bottle of formula at bedtime just before he turned 10 months, to see if it would have any effect on his night feeding (so far, it hasn't!).

We had a not-so-easy first few days after we came home from the hospital, when I was getting a bit sore, plus finding it difficult to feed him whilst sitting on my episiotomy scar (!). Then I went back to skin-to-skin in bed with him for all his feeds and that just sorted things out brilliantly, as well as (literally) taking the pressure off my poor undercarriage. :snigger: We haven't really looked back since!
Kitty
xx

IVF Nov-08 - BFP. DS born July 2009
FET Oct-10 - BFN
IVF Sep-11 - BFN

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

• United Kingdom

Tuesday, June 1st 2010, 2:54pm

Well done all of you!!!!

Grace

Princess of the Universe

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 29th 2008

Children: 1 beautiful little son conceived through ICSI and one equally beautiful little boy concieved naturally!

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Tuesday, June 1st 2010, 7:29pm

I think you've all done great! well done.

I'd just like to say to all the others reading this thread who didn't make 6 months don't beat yourself up, all babies are different and if you've been lucky enough to bf for even one day then that's better than none. J started solids just prior to 5 months and tbh I don't regret it as his weight gain had completely plateaued and he was still waking every 2 hours overnight to feed but since starting solids he's putting on a lb every 2 weeks and he now wakes every 4 hours! I wish I could have made it to the 6 month mark and I take my hat off to all you ladies who did but I know I made the right decision.

ICSI BFP DS1 born Nov 09
Natural BFP DS2 born Sept 11

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 14th 2009

Children: 2 dd 1978 ds 1980 And 1 gorgeous granddaughter 2010 and a handsome grandson 2012

Tuesday, June 1st 2010, 10:48pm

clap clap girls!! Well done!!

JENSQUI

Megastar

Saturday, July 17th 2010, 11:05am

Martha is just over 6 months and I plough on with the breastfeeding even though I have never really taken to it. I fought hard during the first week to be able to breastfeed as my milk took almost a week to come in, I was in hospital for many days and she lost 13% of her body weight in 72 hours. She couldn't latch on during that week despite trying so hard and I had to express every 2 hours whilst also syringe feeding her. It stopped being painful after about 6- 8weeks once her mouth was bigger and could cope with my nipple size but it was never really the sore nipples that bothered me as I am not phased by physical pain. I don't have an issue feeding in public either and did this early on. So in some ways I haven't had to deal with problems that other women have. She's had a few syringes of formula in the first week and a couple of cartons since. My plan was to wean her onto formula at 6 months but her little tummy seemed to be having trouble with the solids (acidic smelling poo leading to nappy rash) so I have held off. She has never taken the bottle well anyway despite frequent and repeated trying and, when I am out, will only really take enough to stave off hunger and thirst after a prolonged protest. She has never taken a bottle from me. Shame really as I am fortunate enough to be able to manually express very easily. Anyhow, we've got her bum sorted in the last week and poos are now less frequent and more solid. I am doing a mixture of spoon feeding and BLW and she's having 3 'meals' a day now. The little monkey is not dropping a feed but merely taking less (I feel, hard to assess really) at each feed. She has never slept through the night (and noone but me has ever done the night feeds) and now has two patterns of sleeping but I can never really tell which she'll do each night. Always bed by 7.30. Either wakes at 10.30 for a feed then sleeps till 6ish. Or sleeps until 2am, wakes for feed then sleeps till 7ish. As most of you know, my boobs leak all the time so I never really get more than 3-4 hours sleep in any one stretch because I wake up once the hand towel beneath me is wet through and uncomfortable.

I am at a loss as to what to do. I want her to be on bottles of formula but just can't summon the energy it would take to achieve this because I know it would involve a lot of tears and an upset baby for a while. I can't cope with the bottle wars day in day out when it is obviously much easier for me to whip out a boob. I long to have someone I could hand her over to during the day for a week to help out with this but unfortunately I don't have anyone who can. Well, I have Al, but where would I go? I can hardly sit in the garage for hours knowing that she is in the house crying herself into a state.

I know all of the benefits of breastfeeding but I'll be perfectly honest here - if I am lucky enough to have another one I'm getting the bottle of formula out from day one!

BFP Jun 08 - early loss

Jessica

Superstar

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 4th 2008

Children: One little boy, thanks to IVF

Saturday, July 17th 2010, 1:15pm

Oh Jensqui, that sounds really really hard. You've done fantastically well to keep going for so long - though I appreciate you haven't had much choice in the matter. ;(

I wish I could offer some advice but I know from reading this and other posts you've written in the past that you're a very thorough and determined young lady so I'm sure you've tried all the things I could think of. Sorry, I know that's not helpful at all, but I didn't want to read and run. Hopefully someone who knows more about it than me (Chris? Bells?) will be along soon and maybe they will be able to suggest something .....

Big :hugs:
Kitty
xx

IVF Nov-08 - BFP. DS born July 2009
FET Oct-10 - BFN
IVF Sep-11 - BFN

csam

Star

United Kingdom

Saturday, July 17th 2010, 3:38pm

Hiya Jen

Well done for B/F for so long.Martha is gorgeous! I could have written a lot of your post. It was absolutely the right thing for me to do,to Bf DD1 although I never really enjoyed it.I'm so glad I did,she was/is a really happy baby/child.She never took a bottle either so I had to do all the feeds and it's hard work! I can fully sympathise.

I had really had enough of B/f by 6 months but knew it would take a bit longer to stop.She was only on 2 b/f a day at that age(and a night feed, she used to faff at all the other's),so that made it slightly easier.Even though she drank water from a sippy cup,she wouldn't take milk from it or the other hundred cups I got! Firstly I went cold turkey with the night feeds,it was one really difficult night,the next night was hard and by the 3rd night we were sorted.Since then she's slept through and is a brilliant sleeper and runs to bed excited at 7pm! I'd say she was 7 months when I did this.Then at 8 months I got a different cup,it had a soft spout.I filled it with formula and decided I wasn't going to B/f,to my amazement she downed the lot,did 2 burbs and was fast asleep!

Like you,I thought the next time I would like to Bf but that the baby would def be able to have a bottle,however the twinnies came along and for lots of reasons I couldn't Bf and I'm actually really gutted and still feel guilty everyday.

Like Jessica say's the people who can best help,Bell's etc will be along soon but I just wanted to share my experience and an 8 month old baby is different to a 6 month old one and if you can hold off a little longer you perhaps won't have to endure knowing that Martha is getting upset,and she will take her milk from a cup.

take care,hope you don't mind me posting

xxxxx

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Children: 2 dd 1978 ds 1980 And 1 gorgeous granddaughter 2010 and a handsome grandson 2012

Sunday, July 18th 2010, 2:35am

Hi Jensqui,
I'm sorry you're still having problems. You haven't had it easy, have you!
How often is Martha breastfeeding? Are b/f s at the same time as her other meals, or in between? Have you tried not offering breast at her biggest meal, and give her water or juice in a cup? (either one with a spout or a doidy cup.) It can be a bit messy, but it's really only a drink she needs at this time, rather than milk. That would cut out one feed, then do the same after a few days with another meal. If it's between meals, could you try giving ebm in a cup instead to wean her off the breast.,since you have to express anyway for comfort. You said you can hand express easily, but pumping might be better for you, as it doesn't stimulate the breast like hand expressing does.
Hope this helps.
xx

JENSQUI

Megastar

Sunday, July 18th 2010, 12:12pm

Thanks for the replies ladies! Csam you have made me feel so much better. Everyone else I know who has breastfed for months seems to love it and they don't really understand where I am coming from. I also feel a little guilty as have read so many stories on here from ladies who desperately wanted to breastfeed but weren't able to for whatever reason.

I'll try and answer your questions Chris. I still feed on demand with M but in no way do I feed every time she whinges or cries a little - I know her hungry cry from her tired / bored /scared / frustrated ones. She self-settles really well in her cot and although I do feed her once through the night this isn't the only time she wakes up. When she wakes for food it is very different and I don't actually mind the night feed at all. She's had a few 9 hour stretches in recent weeks and last night she actually slept through from 7.30pm to 7am so I do feel that given time she will be full enough to not need milk during the night at all. She's an incredibly active baby compared to those of the same age we hang out with a lot (always was, even inside me!), constantly kicking her legs, stretching and rolling around the floor so it does seem that she uses up energy. Whilst I don't take any real notice of percentile weight stuff she is at 98th percentile for height and just over 50th percentile for weight which may give you an idea of how lean she is underneath those big bamboo nappies in the photos. So, she feeds every 2.5 to 5 hours during the day (one of her naps is usually long so she goes without milk for longer then) and I give her solids about an hour to an hour and a half after each feed. I started her on water at the same time as solids. To begin with she was happy with the doidy cup but now seems to prefer the sippy cup. She doesn't take much water but is trying and to begin with I just offered it at mealtimes but now do so at other times as well. She never refuses to have a go with the cup but it is early days for her getting the hang of it and a lot still ends up down her chin so really don't think she'd get much milk that way at the moment.

I stopped expressing for comfort a couple of months ago and now just keep a stack of hand towels by my bed each night as the leaking didn't stop. I used to express so that when we tried her with the bottle it was with my milk but, again, haven't done that for about a month as I am happy for her to have formula now. It isn't that she will never take the bottle and we have had periods where she has taken it easily - even took 9oz in one go one night when I was out. She just isn't very reliable with it and on a few occasions when I have been out she has wailed, not fed and got herself into a real state so I don't like to leave her for more than 1 feed (although I have done sometimes). As I said before, if I even attempt to give her a bottle she point blank refuses. I have tried not breastfeeding her but if she's having a 'I don't want the bottle day' she will go for hours and hours without milk rather than take a bottle .....I guess the determination/stubborn gene has been well and truly passed down!

I think it may well be a case of just gritting my teeth and getting through another few weeks, trying again when she is a little older. We have a week's holiday booked with Al's parents at the beginning of September (M will be 8 months then) and another week at the end of September with my parents and sister. It is rare for us to have people on hand to look after her so I was really really hoping to be able to leave her for a couple of days during those weeks so that we could get some time together. And I think it would be good to M - she really is such a mummy's girl!

xxx

BFP Jun 08 - early loss

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Monday, July 19th 2010, 12:28am

Hi Jen,
Poor you with all that leaking during the night!
Stupid question probably, but have you tried Breastflow bottles?
You may find in a few weeks that she's managing the cup better for milk if she's not keen on bottles. My two never took a bottle at all, but when weaning just went straight to feeding cups.
I'm sorry you haven't really enjoyed breastfeeding, but good on you keeping it going this long in spite of that. I loved it, but then I didn't have any problems whatever. Fiona has never found it totally comfortable, as she's been plagued with recurring thrush.
Good luck with it all!
xx

Reg: Jul 3rd 2007

Children: Apr 2009- Suprise Natural BFP!!!

Thursday, July 29th 2010, 8:59pm

I don't get time to post on here- or even come lurk- but I always wanted to be able to post in this thread... and now finally I can. Dylan is just over 6 months and I'm still breast feeding. I cannot believe I got here after a hell-ish 14 week start. Thanks again to Belles and Fi's Mum for your advise about Deep Tissue Thrush. After a course of tablets (and a fight with the GP) BF became so much easier. I've just started to introduce a bottle at Midday and we've started weaning. I'm not sure how much longer I'll continue to breast feed for. DP is desperate for me to wean Dylan off... I think he wants 'his' boobs back. He pointed out that it's been over a year since I last drank and we're off on hols soon. I asked why it was so important to him that I was drinking again and he smiled... He thinks that if he gets me drunk I'll agree to start trying again... what a bugger!!! He knows I was so traumatised by the experience of trying to feed Dylan for the first few months and all the pain I went through that I have sworn off trying again until the memory fades. I have to say I know what Jensqui means when she says she might not BF next time... despite things going well now I don't know whether I could do it to myself again!

Jensqui- I hope things get sorted soon for you! xxx
[/align]

JENSQUI

Megastar

Thursday, July 29th 2010, 9:57pm

well done Dilly! I remember the pain you were in all those months ago and I admire you for sticking with it. Keep us posted with how the weaning and move to formula goes.

M must have read my posts because the very day I started writing on here she started sleeping longer at night and now goes from 7.30pm to 6 - 6.30am. I still leak but last night the leaking didn't start until about 3am so I am hopeful that in a few more weeks my body will properly adjust and I will finally be able to have a decent night's sleep!

BFP Jun 08 - early loss

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE