Unread posts

roxy7

Star

• "roxy7" started this thread

Reg: Dec 1st 2008

Children: DS born 11/06

Sunday, February 14th 2010, 6:35pm

Any advice on alleviating discomfort?

I'm really struggling today, sore achey back, skin that feels like it might split, heavy uncomfortable bump.... I'm sleeping terribly as there are two positions I can sleep in (on my right side with cushions and propped up on my back). Moving in bed without huge effort is impossible and i frequently wake with pins and needles and have to take a walk around.

I've spent a fair bit of day in bed. Is this normal at my stage - I'm 28+2 wks? The slightest bit of walking leaves me knackered and I'm normally such an active person so it's quite frustrating but I'm also feeling guilty as I can do so little and even less with my little boy - fortunately, DP is pretty understanding and around a lot so he's taken over the baton.

Would be interested to hear how other multiple mums cope/coped with the last trimester and if there is anything practical I can do to alleviate the difficulties. The physio gave me a bit of tubigrip to support my bump but I've grown out of that now.

Sorry to moan :(

R x

Me 41, DP 42
Diagnosis PCOS and old age!
DS 11/06 (clomid)
Mm/c of natural pg 03/08
1st IVF 02/09 (ectopic)
FET 08/09 :BFP:
cs booked for 20/04/10

Indiechick

Superstar

Reg: Oct 25th 2007

Sunday, February 14th 2010, 7:34pm

Ohhh Roxy Hun, it's so tough isn't it! I don't have any practical suggestions I'm afraid but I do have buckets full of sympathy! I think it's important to rest up while you can and although you can run around after DS you can always invite him for a cuddle and story in bed with you!

Hang on in there hun, not too long to go!

x

3rd IUI - 08/08/08 - tested 22/08/08 BFP :D
Scan 09/09/08 - 2 [zx076] [zx076] TWINS!
2 beautiful boys born 16/04/09

Reg: Dec 16th 2008

Children: No

Sunday, February 14th 2010, 8:52pm

Roxy If it make you feel any better, I am feeling much the same :sadface: I am so happy to be having twins but it is getting very uncomfy. It doesn't help when people tell you that they were as big as you are now when they were nearly term with their singleton :rollseyes:

TTC 10 Years Finally got to ICSI No1 Jan 09 :BFN:
ICSI No 2 Aug 09 :BFP:
Two lovely little girls born by planned c-section 27/04/10 at 38 weeks
Isabelle 6lb 2oz bab10 & Amber 6lb 8oz bab10

United Kingdom

Reg: Dec 22nd 2008

Children: Beautiful twin daughters and two grown up stepdaughters

Monday, February 15th 2010, 9:31am

Can I add myself to the list of twin mummies-to-be who feel like this. I am only 22 weeks but they are pressing on a nerve and giving me terrible pains in the legs, numbness, pins and needles etc. Plus climbing up the stairs in the tube station is starting to feel like I am climbing Mt Everest. I know it will all be worth it in the end BUT....Ouch!!!!
Newly Wed

ICSI December 2008 - chemical pregnancy
ICSI May 2009 - BFN
FET September 2009 - BFP
Beautiful twin girls born 30 April 2010

Duffymoon

Megastar

Reg: Jun 11th 2007

Children: Boy/girl twins born 2010

Monday, February 15th 2010, 12:13pm

Hi Roxy and other twin mummies :D :D

Big hugs hon as carrying two is tough on the ol' limbs isn't it! I have no comparison so this pregnancy, and all it chucks at me, is completely normal (and has put me off more dufflets for life :snigger: )

Can't really offer any advice in relation to how to alleviate aches and pains, as far as I'm aware, they come with the territory. However I do find a nice bath helps (though don't have one without DH to hand to help you out!) and if you can persuade him to give you a gentle massage, I do find that helps me relax before sleeptime too.

I'm nearly 35 weeks and i'm afraid it does get tougher - probably no surprise!! I'm going to the loo generally every 2 hours in the night, but I think raising my swollen feet/ankles in bed is adding to my bladder getting full!

I sleep with a dream genii pillow and find this the most comfy as it supports your back and sits under your bump nicely, I can't turn over any more but have to sit up and slowly shuffle to the other side.

Walking was knackering me out definitely by 28 weeks so just don't try to do too much! If you can't manage it, you can't manage it!....and is no big deal - you're carrying two babies and this is why normal activities are no longer do-able!

If your body says to rest, then rest and fit in quality time with your DS during those times that you feel a little perkier. I definitely have good and bad days.

In terms of your skin feeling tight, are you oiling at all? I use bio oil and it definitely helps keeps skin supple. It's unlikely you'll avoid being aware of tummy tightness completely but moisturising will help alleviate tightness a little (and hopefully help towards avoiding stretchmarks!).

Sorry I can't help much :( - there's no miracle cure i'm afraid but definitely don't feel guilty or worried about resting too much, as I said, if you need it then do it!

Newlywed- stairs?!! be kind to your hips (and your lungs) and get the escalator!!!

xxx

4 x ICSI BFN
5th time :BFP:
:boy: :girl:

roxy7

Star

Tuesday, February 16th 2010, 10:56pm

Thanks for your replies ladies. It's good to hear that I'm not alone, nor being a total wuss - but you all have my sympathies.

Lying down a bit more in the day and feeling a bit better today.

R x

Me 41, DP 42
DS 11/06 (clomid)
Mm/c of natural pg 03/08
1st IVF 02/09 (ectopic)
cs booked for 20/04/10

Reg: Jul 3rd 2008

Children: 2 beautiful twin daughters :)

Wednesday, February 17th 2010, 2:53pm

Hi Roxy and Newly Wed - I was exactly the same from about 26 weeks! It is an enourmous effort in the last tri and you really do have to accept the fact you can't live a normal life and try to kick back as much as possible.

For the aching back I had a couple of osteopathy sessions just to get the muscles relaxed - but as that was so expensive I tried gentle swimming. I have to say this was my saviour, I went 3-4 times a week and literally just lay on my back to take the weight off the bump. I spent most of the time either doing a gentle slow back stroke or lying at the edge of the pool kicking my legs. It was my little piece of heaven, especially when I had a hot powerful shower after directed on my back!! Nice warm baths helped too, as well as getting dh to give me a gentle back rub just before bed.

Keep your skin as moisturised as possible, I used loads of bio-oil twice a day but I found that moisturising cream actually felt better when my skin felt more stretchy and painful.

Try to make your daily lives as simple as possible - split household chores into manageable chunks and only take on light duties. Online shop where you can, I found the simple act of walking from the car to the supermarket door a mammouth effort by the end.

For the bump support I can recommend the 3M maternity belt - you can buy it from Mothercare. It's pricey at £35 but well worth it as it's more stout and robust than other makes. (I got mine cheaper from ebay though).

Try and rest as much as possible and even a short 20minute lie down on the sofa each afternoon helps and if you can take a nap.

Unfortunately I didn't find anything to help at night (although a hoist may have come in handy :snigger:)...think it's natures way of preparing you for the midnight hours that you will become so accustomed to in a few weeks!!

I hope all goes well for you both (and Duffychops of course!) I can assure you it is definately worth it and it will come to an end scarily quickly!!

:xxx3:

Moonshine

roxy7

Star

Wednesday, February 17th 2010, 6:05pm

Thanks Moonshine. I'm feeling a little better now - I think it's the emotional strain as much as anything else! The helpful tips are great. I've been swimming... but with my LO which is far from restful or unstrenous so I think I might need to just go it alone for the moment or, better still get my OH to join the gym with me!

R x

Me 41, DP 42
DS 11/06 (clomid)
Mm/c of natural pg 03/08
1st IVF 02/09 (ectopic)
cs booked for 20/04/10

Reg: Apr 15th 2008

Children: Twins coming soon!

Thursday, March 4th 2010, 11:53am

I'm glad I've found this post as everything I read on-line seems geared towards singletons and I was starting to feel a real wimp! I'm only 24 + 1 but already feeling exhausted, struggling with stairs, eating normal sized meals, sleeping at night, back pain, stretchy-tummy pain...the list goes on!

From what you ladies have said it all seems perfectly normal now, I just have to keep reminding myself this is a TWIN pregnancy and I can't do everything I used to and I need to stop comparing myself to singleton pregnancies (who seem to have it really easy!).

Thanks for the advice and info everyone

Iris .x.
1st ICSI June '08 - :BFN:
FET Aug '08 - :BFN:
2nd ICSI Sept/Oct '09 - :BFP:

roxy7

Star

Thursday, March 4th 2010, 7:54pm

I've got very similar guilt feelings and keep thinking it's down to my age that I'm finding this pregnancy so hard going. It is nice to just hear that others are experiencing something similar and it's not just me.

There's a reason people advise that twin pregnancies are hard and this is it! Our bodies were just not designed for them.

I'm 31 weeks now and really struggling to do very much at all. I have a wonderful and fortunately mostly available DP who's taken over most of the care of our 3 year old and I'm having to lie down every few hours (and I can't even do that comfortably :cross: ) Meeting my friend for a coffee yesterday was hard work. I don't know how anyone keeps working - I'm assuming people must get signed off sick?

Hugs whiteiris. It seems like I've been pregnant forever and I can't say it gets any easier but I definately feel, now I've passed the 30 weeks mark, that there is an end in sight!

R x

Me 41, DP 42
DS 11/06 (clomid)
Mm/c of natural pg 03/08
1st IVF 02/09 (ectopic)
cs booked for 20/04/10