You are not logged in.

Unread posts
  • "Sammysue" started this thread

Reg: Dec 18th 2007

Children: one perfect little miracle baby boy - now trying for a little brother or sister !!

Tuesday, November 10th 2009, 8:01pm

Low lying placenta @ 36wks

Hi peeps
Just a question really - had my 36wk scan today to check to see if placenta is still low, and it is.
Its 14mm away from cervix so have to have another scan in 2wks to check to see if it has moved up.
Just wanna know how far away it needs to be? Have read that it needs to ideally be about 2cm away? And what chance is there that it will move up?
I have no probs with having a c-section as i'm grateful enough to be having a baby as it is, so as long as baby is safe thats my main concern.
Just feel in limbo land now as thought i'd know one way or another today! Just want to be as prepared as possible?
Thanks for reading
xxxx

IVF 5th time lucky
- BFP
Trying for No 2 - BFP

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Tuesday, November 10th 2009, 8:38pm

It depends what your cons will let you get away with. Mine was 3cm at 36 weeks but had moved to 4cm by 37 weeks. I do think though that there was some variable due to having different sonographers. The first was very pro-section as she had sections with all three of her children, the second knew that I wanted a homebirth.

Have you asked for or been offered another scan next week?

Children: one perfect little miracle baby boy - now trying for a little brother or sister !!

Tuesday, November 10th 2009, 9:51pm

Not been offered a scan next wk just one in 2wks time, am gonna speak to my mw tomorrow and find out how far away they prefer it, basically the sonographer didn't really say alot as i dont think she was allowed too comment to much just that she'd checked with antenatal clinic and they recommended rescan in 2wks?
Notes say "The leading edge of posterior placenta is 14mm from the os"?

IVF 5th time lucky
- BFP
Trying for No 2 - BFP

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Tuesday, November 10th 2009, 10:30pm

There's a good chance that it will have shifted in 2 weeks... if you can hang on that long!!!

I know it's a pain not knowing what you're doing.... but at 38 weeks you'll have a MUCH clearer picture of what's happening and you know you'll have given your placenta plenty of time to move. If it's just shy of being 'acceptable' in two weeks then DO push for another scan at 39 weeks. A scan is much more cost effective for a hospital than a section and all its associated costs.

Friday, November 13th 2009, 2:07pm

Spoke to MW (not mine) the other day and she said that as placenta is so close i will def have to go to hosp instead of mw run birthing unit (which we knew) but when i asked how far away from os does it need to be for V birth and how likely C section she said that unless it was completely covering then it would be a V birth??
I dont feel 100% happy with that answer cos why would they even bother to re scan if V birth was possible without any risks as placentas not completely covering!! I think she was busy and wanted to get me off the phone :rolleyes: I have appt on tues for my MW check so will try and have a good chat then.

IVF 5th time lucky
- BFP
Trying for No 2 - BFP

Thursday, November 26th 2009, 2:06pm

Hey
Had another scan and placenta still low - con reccomended c section then got 2nd opinon and then said maybe leave it a wk?? But said up to us, have a think.
Discussed with DP and family and decided would feel happier and safer to have c section. Went back today and seen my old IVF con and he had a feel around and looked at my scan - said that head still floating around loads so sugests that may not be able to engage properly so recomended C section too
I feel fine about not having a V birth as the risks are too high and just want our lil baby to be born safe and stress free, so next fri the 4th dec we will hopefully be meeting our lil baby boy or girl woohoo woohoo

IVF 5th time lucky
- BFP
Trying for No 2 - BFP

mrs_smiff

Superstar

Reg: Jan 10th 2007

Children: 5 kids aged 21,18,14,13 and a little miracle born April 09

Friday, November 27th 2009, 1:22pm

Yippeeeeeeee!! Just enough time for a last minute shop and cake session! xx
Me 35,DH 36 (Severe Oligospermia.).
4th ICSI :BFP:
I have 4 lovely big kids
Thomas Derren (Thom) July 1990
Luke Benjamin August 1993
Harley John Oliver June 1997
Alexandria Aimee Jay (Alex) July 1998
Lochlan Cassius James April 2009 (4th attempt at ICSI)

Friday, November 27th 2009, 1:25pm

lol yup yup :D

IVF 5th time lucky
- BFP
Trying for No 2 - BFP

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE