You are not logged in.

Unread posts
  • "Sez140" started this thread

Reg: Feb 25th 2009

Children: Alexander (March 2010) - the result of ICSI at Hammersmith

Thursday, October 22nd 2009, 3:29pm

20w scan - low-lying placenta and A neg blood type?

Hi All,

Had our 20 week scan today and I'm glad to report that our baby is in perfect shape in there! Right size for it's age, everything in place, and.... It's a boy!! We're very proud parents!

However... Few suprising things came up for me. And I was wondering if anyone had any advice or information? Suddenly feel like I have loads to research again and a little out of my depth!

I have a low lying placenta, which is slightly over my cervix as well. So need to have another scan at 36 weeks to see if it's moved up as the uterus grows. In most cases it will move apparently, but if it doesn't move then I will be admitted immediately and will have a c-section at some point over the next couple of weeks. If there is any bleeding then I have to go straight to A&E because it could be really serious and a sign of the placenta coming away. In the vast majority of cases, this works itself out without a problem, but if not then apparently I am a "ticking time-bomb" - the midwife's own words!

I have also been told I am A-negative blood type, so I need to have extra blood tests and the anti-D jabs. This is even more important because of the low lying placenta apparently.

If I'm honest, my head is spinning a bit. Feels a bit like the IVF cycle again. I go in assuming that everything will be fine - why wouldn't it?! To be told that things aren't going as well as expected or there is some kind of hiccup. Each time I seem to arrive in a pretty positive state of mind and then leave feeling a bit shell-shocked. I know neither of these things is really a big deal, and the baby is well and happy, so all is good. I'm being a bit silly really... It's just a few extra appointments and a few more jabs... No big deal... Maybe I just need time to adjust to the idea...

Anyway - any info greatly appreciated. Thanks for listening ladies. Love to all bumps, Sarah xxx
May09:ICSI-sperm issues
Jul09: BFP! DS born Mar10
Jan12: ICSI-LOR-BFP-lost at 3 days
May12: looking 4 donor eggs

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 14th 2009

Children: 2 dd 1978 ds 1980 And 1 gorgeous granddaughter 2010 and a handsome grandson 2012

Friday, October 23rd 2009, 12:01am

Hi Sarah, it's always a bit unsettling when you are told that you could have problems. Try not to worry, most cases do sort themselves out by the next scan, but even if it doesn't, they are aware of the problem,so they'll take care of you in hospital so that they can act quickly should you bleed.

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Children: 2 dd 1978 ds 1980 And 1 gorgeous granddaughter 2010 and a handsome grandson 2012

Friday, October 23rd 2009, 12:40am

Sorry, I must have clicked on "post" accidentally before I finished. I tried to edit but I wasn't quick enough.
Most low lying placentas sort themselves out, and there's no reason to think that yours won't.
You'll be getting anti-D anyway as a precaution,but they'll want to make sure that you're not producing antibodies (which would only happen if you had a bleed and your baby is Rhpos--if your LO is Rhneg then it's not an issue)
The m/w was right to tell you that you must come to hospital straight away if you bleed,because it could be serious, but she might have been a bit less dramatic a
bout it!!!
Only a very few women with placenta praevia have a serious problem. So stop worrying!!!

Reg: May 1st 2008

Children: I'm going to be a mum :) fingers crossed!

Friday, October 23rd 2009, 1:34pm

:happy: Hi sez!!! they think my left hand side is low lying, but she said to me usually by the time the womb has moved up it brings the placenta with it! fingers crossed this will happen, i aske her what would happen if this didnt, and she said you would be booked in for c section (which i am already) she said to me its not a real big problem!! so our MW are very different! i am also negative, they gave me a little card to carry around, to begin with i was worrying but talking to people i found its quite common, where i work at least 3 ladies have it!! basically i am booked in for an anti d jab at week 28, and then IF the babies are a diff blood group to me when they arrive i will also have another one then!.....so like you i worried, but now to be honest ive not given it another thought, im just a bit more carefull incase i slip over etc, they said be carefull not to bruise tummy!!!
you take care and we are the same xx
bab10 bab11

Tilly and Samuel born 2.2.10 bab21 bab22

IVF May 2009 BFP

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Friday, October 23rd 2009, 2:16pm

Hi, I had a low lying placenta that was still slightly covering at my 36 week scan so I pushed for another scan at 37 weeks and it had moved another few millimetres (hoorah!) so I had a homebirth. I'm also A negative and have had lots of Anti D injections over my pregnancies, again, not a problem. Try not to worry, LLP and rhesus negative blood are both REALLY common and the majority of women experience no problems whatsoever. Your MW was a bit mean saying you're a ticking time bomb... you're not, you're just a little bit more special ;)

Ros

Megastar

Reg: Mar 14th 2008

Children: twin girls thanks to PGD!

Friday, October 23rd 2009, 3:15pm

Hi Sarah, I am A negative and was told this week that one of my placentas is low lying and rather close to the cervix so we're very smiliar. I am not worried though as so many ladies have a negative blood group/ Anti D injections and the low lying placenta is common too. It is good to know about these things though so you know what to do if there is some bleeding but as far as I've seen, they are rarely big issues x

After 5 years of endo surgery, clomid, 2 x MM/C, 2 x ICSI cycles and 1 PGD cycle,
beautiful twin girls born 8th Feb 2010, we are so grateful

Reg: Apr 23rd 2007

Friday, October 23rd 2009, 7:06pm

I too am A rhesus neg and have to have my anti D in a few weeks. Its just an injection and nothing to worry about. Also have low lying placenta - very common, as others have said. the hospotal told me that 9 out of 10 move up by the end and even if it doesn't, knowing in advance means that they know what to do and are prepared. Try not to worry too much.
xx
dizzyduck
Me 42 DP 40
TTC 3yrs
IVF Oct 07 and Jan 08 - both poor response & converted to IUI - BFN
May 08, Aug 08 and Oct 08 natural :BFP: m/c at 6, ,5 and 9 weeks :sadface:
May 09 another shock natural :BFP: Perfect little boy born 12 feb 2010.

Mavis

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 15th 2008

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Friday, October 23rd 2009, 7:39pm

I'm another Rhesus negative person!
And I also had a low lying placenta, had bleeding too and an anti-D jab. But now the placenta is high. Usually they do move up and out of the way and you've got oodles of time for that to happen.

M
x

My Diary
10 years, 5 cycles, and 3 beautiful children.
My family is complete :heart: :heart: :heart:

Reg: Jun 19th 2009

Children: Hammersmith

Saturday, October 24th 2009, 2:21pm

Hi Sarah I don't know anything about the issues you mentioned but looks like you have got some good advice from the other ladies in a similar position. Just wanted to say congrats on your boy and sorry I haven't been in touch... lots of love to you xxx
MammaMia
Age 31
TTC 2yrs
Severe Male Factor diagnosed July 08
1st ICSI cycle June 09 BFP - Twins!
Praying for a smooth ride from here

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Saturday, October 24th 2009, 4:39pm

I'm Aneg too!! so we're all in the same family :D

Mavis

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 15th 2008

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Saturday, October 24th 2009, 6:24pm

:snigger: We must be!

My Diary
10 years, 5 cycles, and 3 beautiful children.
My family is complete :heart: :heart: :heart:

Reg: Apr 23rd 2007

Sunday, October 25th 2009, 11:10am

For what's supposed to be a rare blood type, there are lots of us here!
X
dizzyduck
Me 42 DP 40
TTC 3yrs
IVF Oct 07 and Jan 08 - both poor response & converted to IUI - BFN
May 08, Aug 08 and Oct 08 natural :BFP: m/c at 6, ,5 and 9 weeks :sadface:
May 09 another shock natural :BFP: Perfect little boy born 12 feb 2010.

Monday, October 26th 2009, 10:03am

Thanks!

Thanks a lot everyone, you've made me feel better. Sorry for the whining, I just got a bit down about stuff I think. The midwife was very friendly and I'm sure she was just kidding, but she keep making comments like "there always has to be one difficult one, and today it's you!" and the "ticking time bomb" one - and I know she was only joking, but I was really emotional from seeing the baby and hearing it was a boy, and everything kinda got on top of me.

I think the fact that they made me three appointments then and there freaked me out as bit as well. Especially as they didn't write any down for me, they just reeled them all off, and I was left stood there thinking "what's that appt for? what time? which hospital? agghhhh! slow down!".

Anyway - I've done lots of reading and feeling much better now. And yes, now I know I'm A negative, I'm finding loads of other people who are A negative as well. I don't feel so "rare" now!

Thanks ladies, your support is much appreciated.

Sarah xxx

Reg: May 1st 2008

Children: I'm going to be a mum :) fingers crossed!

Monday, October 26th 2009, 1:28pm

:happy: goody goody!! they also did that with me, gave me all my appointments up front, my last being 1st Feb, hasten she did say "you prob won't make that appt, if you do then we will give you a start date" charming i thought lol!!!
glad you feeling better missy!!! xxx
bab10 bab11

Tilly and Samuel born 2.2.10 bab21 bab22

IVF May 2009 BFP

Monday, October 26th 2009, 1:37pm

Yeah!

Yeah, know what you mean, they said to me "appointment for 9th Feb, if placenta hasn't moved, you won't be going home again, we'll admit you straight away" - yikes, I was still expecting to be at work that week! Need to look at all my dates again I think!

Thanks BB! xxx

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE